Need assistance to help with eating

POPCORN SUTTON

Dec 25, 2016
Southampton
Hi there,

Mother in Law has Alzheimer's & has recently come out of hospital following an operation which had complications & may have led to sepsis & additional brain damage.
Long story short, her eating habits have disappeared all together & Father in law (86 years old) is at his wits end because he doesn't know what to do to make her eat.
It is hard to broach the subject with him without sounding bossy or interfering.
Any suggestions appreciated, Please help

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hi Popcorn Sutton,a warm welcome to you to Talking Point:) so sorry mum in law has been through a bad time in hospital and probably does not feel like eating, so that is an additional worry, many on here will say that tastes change when dementia decides to make itself known,important MiL has plently of fluids and maybe something like jelly and ice cream/custard?mash and gravy?or favourite meals from her childhood...my mum went through the not eating stage,and that was more of a worry then dementia:rolleyes: could you gently suggest to FiL that a follow up home visit is done by the doctor so this problem could be assessed before it spirals into a big problem.
Take care and let us know when you can how things are going

Joolebee

Dec 26, 2016
Food supplements

My Mum only has a food supplement drink called Ensure. There are a variety of flavours and we get ours in prescription in the UK. You could try this until hopefully her appetite returns.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello popcorn sutton
a warm welcome from me too
I am hoping that your mil was discharged with a care package in place to support her and give your fil a break from personal care - if not get on to her GP and their Local Authority's Adult Services
does her GP know about this concern - make sure you keep them up to date as they may well be able to suggest things that will help, maybe have a SALT check out your mil in case there is a physical problem
the ideas fron chris53 and joobee are good - instead of offering your mil 'proper' meals, think of the old fashioned ideas of convalescent eating eg ice cream, jelly, blancmange, rice pudding, mashed potato and veg with gravy, and modern equivalents eg yogurt, smoothies, milkshakes with banana and other real fruits, the diet shakes etc that are balanced nutritionally - your fil may well understand this idea from his childhood
and offer small portions but often, having too much on a plate can be off putting - if your mil is able to feed herself, maybe leave lots of snacks about so she can eat if she wants to, and don't try to nag her into eating, leave her food close enough to reach and put her under no pressure (I know my dad at times just wants to take his own time so he feels he has some control and choice)
food is important; more important is taking in liquids as dehydration can lead to increased confusion and constipation, which is a concern in itself
best wishes

Gershom

Dec 19, 2015
Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
Hi there,

Mother in Law has Alzheimer's & has recently come out of hospital following an operation which had complications & may have led to sepsis & additional brain damage.
Long story short, her eating habits have disappeared all together & Father in law (86 years old) is at his wits end because he doesn't know what to do to make her eat.
It is hard to broach the subject with him without sounding bossy or interfering.
Any suggestions appreciated, Please help

Hi popcorn Sutton,my madam experienced the same situation.All the advices I also tried,.Changing her plates and her fork and spoon into attractive colors and flower decorations that makes my madam caught her attention to attract her foods.You can try,think of a decor and colors that she like most.

Gershom

Dec 19, 2015
Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
Hi popcorn Sutton,my madam experienced the same situation.All the advices I also tried,.Changing her plates and her fork and spoon into attractive colors and flower decorations that makes my madam caught her attention to attract her foods.You can try,think of a decor and colors that she like most.

Always praised the food,just say that is very delicious,very nice smell in front of her,.Must give her smile always with a loving touch.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Could you perhaps tell us a little bit more Popcorn Sutton about the exact problems, i.e. did she feed herself before she went into hospital? Is she refusing to open her mouth in order for her husband to feed her? Is he able to get her to take any food or fluids at all and, if so, roughly how much? I agree with others that, if the reason she is not eating is that she seems to object to what she is being offered, anything that she might like should be tried even if, in more normal circumstances, it would be considered unusual e.g. just really sweet things.

This is a problem that could easily get out of hand. In the first instance, the GP needs to see her as a matter of urgency.