Telling The Time / Clock Readiability - Making a Device Need Advice Please

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Glad it has got an NSA (Nanny Seal of Approval) - just hope NSA2 is not on the horizon!!!

For any non techie members thinking 'I wish I could do this' a solution could be computer clubs in schools. Several schools had a free issue of Raspberries Pis and several children have become competent, I have a 10 year old grandchild programming in C on a Pi.

Pis cost ~£30, some cheap TVs can be used as a display, a school (primary or secondary) may accept the project for development in their after school computer club, it would be a good example of doing something practical and useful.

Hibni

Sep 16, 2013
Hibni... there is a couple of solutions for automated application (hugeclock & powerpoint) switching for a Windows laptop in the link below. Some more technical than others but in essence on the laptop that you have left a message it would switch say every 30 seconds between HugeClock and PowerPoint so she doesn't lose the clock but still sees the message. If you need a hand with the technical stuff give me a shout. Or if there is an internet connection at her property that you can use I could code you up a solution like mine but instead of day centre line that could be your message line and the day could be the time etc and you would be able to change it remotely from your home or phone via a simple web based form. Anyways here is the link: /superuser.com/questions/327676/application-to-automatically-switch-between-two-applications-in-windows (just remove the first slash and copy and paste I am not trusted enough to post links!)

Thanks, the hackery. I think that switching from one program to the other would be confusing. However, I like your Raspberry Pi solution! I would still like the day, date and time to be displayed since they still mean something to my mother, but space underneath to write a short message would be ideal. My mother lives with me and OH so it would be simple enough to edit the message as and when required. Both laptops are running XP and deliberately not connected to the internet. I've been looking for a good reason to buy a Raspberry Pi - this might be one! ;)

thehackery

Nov 3, 2016
Good suggestions about the schools... would be a practical solution for people and a real world example of using a Pi (mini computer) for good. If anyone does want to try this for themselves I am happy to provide step by step instructions and I mean proper step by step as a lot of tutorials miss stuff out or assume various degrees of prior knowledge. Just give me a shout if you need help this offer will stand regardless of how far in the future you may be reading this. Alzheimers is a s#itty thing for all involved so don't mind helping improve someone's life even a little.

thehackery

Nov 3, 2016
Thanks, the hackery. I think that switching from one program to the other would be confusing. However, I like your Raspberry Pi solution! I would still like the day, date and time to be displayed since they still mean something to my mother, but space underneath to write a short message would be ideal. My mother lives with me and OH so it would be simple enough to edit the message as and when required. Both laptops are running XP and deliberately not connected to the internet. I've been looking for a good reason to buy a Raspberry Pi - this might be one! ;)

See my post before this one... if you want the instructions let me know... Rab. I can add whatever detail you like to the script such as time, date etc. This was all I needed for Nanny I had considered adding the time but didn't want it to become too confusing for her and then for it not to be used.

Last edited:

Al-4

Dec 30, 2016
There's an app for free on Google Play Store (Day Clock) which you could put on to a cheap tablet. The app also allows you to type in messages and set times for them to be displayed on the screen along with the time. Good thing also is if you buy a phone capable tablet you can set up one touch calling. One touch radio stations could also be set up on any tablet. If advice on buying a tablet and setting up one touch features is required just ask and I'll post instructions.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The tablet could be attached to a wooden stand with mirror clips.
e.g. http://www.wilko.com/all-hardware/wilko-mirror-corners-chrome-effect-4pk/invt/4354746
4354746_l.jpg

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Hi we got a dayclox for my MIL which just gives the days in big letters but within a few months she had lost the initiative to even look at it. It simply never occurs to her to look at it to tell her the day. As others have said sadly it's all part of the progression of the illness that she simply cannot interpret the clock anymore.