CHC/FNC assessment delays and com

Multimummy

Jan 8, 2017
Hi. I'm new to the forum, so 'Hello' and Help!!

Back in September/early October I made various phone calls eventually ending up speaking to the right department to request a CHC assessment for my Dad. Mid October, having had an email to confirm that the application had had some sort of pre-screening and had been passed to the nursing team for assessment, I spoke to someone who sounded as though she was in a managerial or supervisory role. I asked about the likely timescale for the assessment, as my Dad was given 4 weeks notice by his care home on 30th September. She said she didn't have the resource to assess him within the next 2 weeks, but in discussion about where Dad might move to she told me that if he moved out of area, they (the original assessment team and CCG) would remain responsible for the assessment and potential payment.

Dad's care home Manager was very patient, and he remained there until January when he moved to another CCG and LA area. (thought assessments were supposed to be done within 28days, ha ha!)

On Friday I had a call from the CCG assessment team (in the original area), and I explained that Dad had moved. She said immediately that I will have to re-apply to the new CCG. I raised that the previous person had said that the original area remained responsible, and she said she'd check with her manager. Today I had an email from her saying that as Social Services hadn't done a "checklist" I would indeed have to re-apply to the new CCG. Now, as Dad's self-funding, all attempts to get social services involved, even to do care needs assessment, has met with a brick wall.

So: what is this "checklist"?
Is the original CCG still responsible?
Can I do anything about the length of time it's taken since referral to get to contact about assessment? If I do have to re-release to the new CCG it will be even longer, with Dad potentially paying months more than he needed to?

Thank you, and sorry to be so long-winded!

Ihtl

Jan 19, 2016
Hi. I'm new to the forum, so 'Hello' and Help!!

Back in September/early October I made various phone calls eventually ending up speaking to the right department to request a CHC assessment for my Dad. Mid October, having had an email to confirm that the application had had some sort of pre-screening and had been passed to the nursing team for assessment, I spoke to someone who sounded as though she was in a managerial or supervisory role. I asked about the likely timescale for the assessment, as my Dad was given 4 weeks notice by his care home on 30th September. She said she didn't have the resource to assess him within the next 2 weeks, but in discussion about where Dad might move to she told me that if he moved out of area, they (the original assessment team and CCG) would remain responsible for the assessment and potential payment.

Dad's care home Manager was very patient, and he remained there until January when he moved to another CCG and LA area. (thought assessments were supposed to be done within 28days, ha ha!)

On Friday I had a call from the CCG assessment team (in the original area), and I explained that Dad had moved. She said immediately that I will have to re-apply to the new CCG. I raised that the previous person had said that the original area remained responsible, and she said she'd check with her manager. Today I had an email from her saying that as Social Services hadn't done a "checklist" I would indeed have to re-apply to the new CCG. Now, as Dad's self-funding, all attempts to get social services involved, even to do care needs assessment, has met with a brick wall.

So: what is this "checklist"?
Is the original CCG still responsible?
Can I do anything about the length of time it's taken since referral to get to contact about assessment? If I do have to re-release to the new CCG it will be even longer, with Dad potentially paying months more than he needed to?

Thank you, and sorry to be so long-winded!

I can only imagine that the first person you talked to meant that if your dad was awarded CHC funding by that CCG and subsequently had to move, that CCG would still be responsible for his funding.

As he has moved before getting funding, he will have to apply to his new local CCG.

The checklist is sort of a pre screening ahead of the full assessment. It is essentially used to see if the applicant is 'worthy' of having the full assessment for funding. Here's a link with info about it.

Unfortunately not. It might be worth making a complaint to the first CCG about how long they've taken- there is a guideline/rule about how long they're supposed to take (I can't remember it off of the top of my head), though to my understanding this is rarely met.

I think you will have to go through the new CCG but if he does get funded it should be backdated.