I'm new!

Sez77

Feb 26, 2017
Hi all. My first time on here. My Mum has just been diagnosed with FTD. She lives with my Dad and I am close by caring along with raising my 2 boys.

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Hi and welcome to the lovely TP community!
You've found the best place to seek info, advice, have a rant, whatever!

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello Sez77
a warm welcome - though I'm sorry to read of your mum's diagnosis, I'm really glad you came across TP so you can share your experiences with the folk here and we can all help each other out
very best wishes to all your family

lynnpc

Jan 24, 2017
Isle of Wight
Hi Sez77, I am fairly new here and it's lovely how welcoming people are. You will find a lot of support on this site, I don't have a lot of advice at the moment as I am still learning but I have learnt a lot already just from reading. With Love, Lynn x

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello sez and welcome to Talking Point.
My husband has FTD. It does not affect his short-term memory but it does affect his behaviour and speech.

Peirre

Aug 26, 2015
I am still learning
Believe me the learning curve seems so steep, you think it's going to loop the loop.
Take small steps, and make sure the basics (LPA, will, finances, care plan etc ) are put in place. Then if possible don't panic & don't wrap them in cotton wool, and let them be themselves.

lynnpc

Jan 24, 2017
Isle of Wight
Thanks for your advice Pierre I really appreciate it, I will make sure everything is in place asap. Hope all is going well for you. With Love, Lynn x

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Hello, Sez, and welcome to Talking Point. I'm sorry to hear about your mother's diagnosis but hope you find support, help, and advice here on TP.

The UK Alzheimer's Society has good information on their website, when you have the time and/or feel up to exploring. Some places you could start:

Types of dementia: https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/20007/types_of_dementia

Help with dementia care: https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/20046/help_with_care

Caring for someone with dementia: https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/...tanding_and_supporting_a_person_with_dementia

Other good advice is the Compassionate Communication guide, which I'll let someone else post a link to, because I can never find the one I like!

There's a lot of good information here on TP if you have a read through current and older threads. Please always feel free to ask questions.

Dealing with dementia is a steep learning curve but there is some help available.

I hate to present you with a to-do list, but sooner rather than later, you will want to get some paperwork/administrative things taken care of (powers of attorney, attendance allowance, help with finances, et cetera; I will let the UK folks comment more specifically on these) as well as figure out what help and support will be best for your parents and you, both immediately, and in the future.

One hard and fast rule dementia has taught me is ALWAYS accept help when it's offered, even if you don't think you need it. It's a marathon, not a sprint, and you need all the help you can get.

Sending very best wishes to you and your family.