OPG 102 - Just when I thought things were less bad...

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Thank you, fortune. I am quite fortunate (not a pun!) in that my only sibling is my brother whose attorney I would be. There is no close family who would see any need to probe.

I would keep receipts and details of all the accounts and transactions in a binder. He is capable of making decisions so I would consult with him.

Nita I have PoA and I was actually investigated by the OPG when a vile sibling made a lot of very serious allegations against me. They visited mum without any warning and then asked me for every financial transaction going back three years - my hair stood on end when I saw that. They gave me one week to do so. I don't keep any kind of formal accounts but I do keep all the receipts and all the bank statements, all bills of every kind in a rough date order. It was a pretty horrid week but from what I had I was able to provide a pretty clear explanation of what had been spent, when it was spent and what it was spent on. I was then congratulated on my account keeping by the OPG! What they are looking for is fraud or seriously stupid behaviour and in my correspondence it seemed to me that they understood very well the difficulties of being attorney and carer.

reddollyfood

Apr 28, 2015
Oh Nita you have my sympathies! And I am quite surprised how critical some of the responses are that you've received. Not very helpful to you at such a stressful time. I too had to be my husband's deputy as his dementia was fast moving and we had no time to do an LPOA. The form came as a shock to me too as I had been managing our joint finances for years and as we had a Joint Bank Account the account didn't balance at the end of the period anyway. The COP didn't seem to bother but what really surprised me like you were the questions on decisions I had made. Also they wouldn't let me fill the first form in on line but made me fill it out hard copy, sent me the wrong version of it and forgot to include the last 2 pages. When I finally completed it they then rang me to say their scanner wasn't working well so I had to read them some of the pages!! What a farce. My husband passed away in November and I informed them. They sent their bill for the part year "for their support!!!" by return of post. I sent a cheque and questioned what their support had been and criticised their lack of sensitivity and they dropped the charges. I feel very strongly that this "service" needs to be publicly reviewed. I believe it is appropriate when the deputy is not a close relative but when it is the spouse/partner etc then the process is totally inappropriate and caused me much distress. I apologise for this rant on you post and I do feel for you. X

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
I used to balance my grandad's accounts monthly & keep each month's receipts & statement in an envelope.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Oh Nita you have my sympathies! And I am quite surprised how critical some of the responses are that you've received. Not very helpful to you at such a stressful time. I too had to be my husband's deputy as his dementia was fast moving and we had no time to do an LPOA. The form came as a shock to me too as I had been managing our joint finances for years and as we had a Joint Bank Account the account didn't balance at the end of the period anyway. The COP didn't seem to bother but what really surprised me like you were the questions on decisions I had made. Also they wouldn't let me fill the first form in on line but made me fill it out hard copy, sent me the wrong version of it and forgot to include the last 2 pages. When I finally completed it they then rang me to say their scanner wasn't working well so I had to read them some of the pages!! What a farce. My husband passed away in November and I informed them. They sent their bill for the part year "for their support!!!" by return of post. I sent a cheque and questioned what their support had been and criticised their lack of sensitivity and they dropped the charges. I feel very strongly that this "service" needs to be publicly reviewed. I believe it is appropriate when the deputy is not a close relative but when it is the spouse/partner etc then the process is totally inappropriate and caused me much distress. I apologise for this rant on you post and I do feel for you. X

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

reddollyfood, I think you have misinterpreted this thread, especially as Nita was not the name of the OP.
I don't think anyone has been critical of Jenny, just suprised that the form was not expected and I think everyone is in agreement that the form is difficult and complicated. I certainly found it a strain for the weeks I took getting the first one right. However, being a Deputy - and I, too, was Deputy for my husband - is an onerous responsibility all the time because, as already said, one is responsible to the CoP. I found the whole thing terrifying and dreaded the day the form would come through the letterbox.

I also found the regular balancing of the various accounts time comsuming and irksome, especially once the LA became involved with NH fees as capital ran down. However, this is by far the easiest way to prepare for the annual review form and that is what we have been trying to say here.
It is if anything a salutary warning to get an LPA in place before it's need is obvious as it is far less onerous to administer than Deputyship!

Regarding decisions on the form, I seem to recall that those I wrote were mainly of health and welfare issues because those were ones which concerned the people I'd had meeting with. Decisions about expenditure were already explained elsewhere within the form and, although I had kept our joint account open, it contained only my husband's income by that time.

Now that the form is able to be viewed and completed gradually online, it should be less daunting than when I did mine. I hope so anyway as, although the OPG is far from perfect - and I had my own issue with them after my husband died - they are there to safeguard those we represent.

Jenny24/7

Feb 18, 2017
Hello again all - been a busy week for me but this may help some of you with OPG102. I did talk to an accountant - in fact quite a few, and costs of £700 plus were quoted. So whilst Dad was resting or sleeping ( I call Dad in law 'Dad' as my own Dad died when I was very young ( just married) and he was there for me and stepped in to fill the hole) I started pounding the internet for a software solution. There are a few systems aimed at solicitors - all fairly expensive, but probably not too bad if they are professional deputy for a large number of clients. After pages of 'Google' I was about to give up, then I came across a system specifically designed for lay deputies- and I took the plunge and ordered a copy. This has been the best decision I ever made!! Cost me very little, allowed me to upload bank statements, allocate transactions to the OPG categories and there was all the analysis done of income and expenses, bank balance agreed to the statement and all the further analysis boxes shown ready to copy onto the form. It's based on excel but it's been programmed - also has some nifty stuff and well worth reading the user manual before you start - but really quick to learn - and what's really good is a human being answers the phone and a very helpful one at that!! Did all my bank statements in under an hour. Time to sleep.

Chloe3233

Jul 28, 2017
Hello again all - been a busy week for me but this may help some of you with OPG102. I did talk to an accountant - in fact quite a few, and costs of £700 plus were quoted. So whilst Dad was resting or sleeping ( I call Dad in law 'Dad' as my own Dad died when I was very young ( just married) and he was there for me and stepped in to fill the hole) I started pounding the internet for a software solution. There are a few systems aimed at solicitors - all fairly expensive, but probably not too bad if they are professional deputy for a large number of clients. After pages of 'Google' I was about to give up, then I came across a system specifically designed for lay deputies- and I took the plunge and ordered a copy. This has been the best decision I ever made!! Cost me very little, allowed me to upload bank statements, allocate transactions to the OPG categories and there was all the analysis done of income and expenses, bank balance agreed to the statement and all the further analysis boxes shown ready to copy onto the form. It's based on excel but it's been programmed - also has some nifty stuff and well worth reading the user manual before you start - but really quick to learn - and what's really good is a human being answers the phone and a very helpful one at that!! Did all my bank statements in under an hour. Time to sleep.
What sy

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
May i ask were you found asystem specifically designed for lay deputies- ?? Thank you
I just thought I’d mention that the member to whom you addressed this question doesn’t seem to have been active on the site for almost 2 years so you may not get a direct answer.

It may be worthwhile starting a new thread.

Chloe3233

Jul 28, 2017
I just thought I’d mention that the member to whom you addressed this question doesn’t seem to have been active on the site for almost 2 years so you may not get a direct answer.

It may be worthwhile starting a new thread.
Thank you i dont no haw to start a new thred

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Thank you i dont no haw to start a new thred
Hi again.

To start a thread from the home page the first thing is to select a forum, such as 'I care for a person with dementia'. You can click this link to take you there https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/i-care-for-a-person-with-dementia.70/

At the top right corner above the threads you will see a blue box with 'Post new thread', click that.

Two boxes will appear. One small one to type a title and below it a large box for your post. Type in both boxes.

When you have finished typing go below the boxes to see a blue box with 'Create thread'. Just click that

If you want, you can click on the following link and you will be taken to the 'Help' page where you will see lots of information about the site including videos that may help you.
https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/help/

Best of luck with that. :)

Chloe3233

Jul 28, 2017
Hi again.

To start a thread from the home page the first thing is to select a forum, such as 'I care for a person with dementia'. You can click this link to take you there https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/i-care-for-a-person-with-dementia.70/

At the top right corner above the threads you will see a blue box with 'Post new thread', click that.

Two boxes will appear. One small one to type a title and below it a large box for your post. Type in both boxes.

When you have finished typing go below the boxes to see a blue box with 'Create thread'. Just click that

If you want, you can click on the following link and you will be taken to the 'Help' page where you will see lots of information about the site including videos that may help you.
https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/help/

Best of luck with that. :)
Thank you