My husband has FTD

frangapani

Feb 24, 2017
my 78 year old husband has recently been diagnosed with FTD although I have known for over a year that he had some type of dementia. The first and most prominent symptom is his primary progressive aphasia. this is very frustrating for both of us but his anger, irritability and swearing at me for no reason is the hardest thing for me to deal with. We live in the country with a wood furnace as our only source of heat. with his memory issues this has been a nightmare this winter! We are moving into town this summer for sure! the Dr. said he is in the moderate stage right now. I dread the future but don't want to lose him either even though it feels like I am losing him more every day. I started keeping a journal of sorts just to have some way to express my frustrations I guess.I am glad I found this site.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Good morning and welcome to TP.

Your situation sounds very difficult. I do hope you are able to make a move to somewhere more suitable for you over the summer.

It's a good idea to keep a journal and Talking Point us a good place to have a rant and share your frustrations when you need to. There will always be someone here to listen and understand.

It's also a good place to share your experiences and concerns. There's usually someone around to support and help.

blueviolet

Mar 1, 2015
blue violet

Hi frangipani I just read your post and wanted you to know you are not alone. My 74year old husband was diagnosed with primary progressive aphasia 13 years ago so I know what you are going through. He too is in the moderate stage and has become so much more disagreeable and aggressive. He will not let me do anything for him which is very frustrating especially trying to wash and dress him. I must admit I just have to walk away as I get so tired of it all the time. I am trying a period of respite soon which my family have all said is long overdue. Perhaps you too could manage a break to recharge your batteries. Sorry not to have any answers for you but hope it helps a little knowing the people on this site all care.