Casbow's Diary.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
It was a Care home with a dementia unit. I thought it looked ok and the staff seemed cheerful and all spoke to us. Anyway I got it very wrong. So now don't feel capable of choosing one again. I cannot say how to find out how good the dementia units are at care homes. Suggest you speak to Social worker or maybe ask on line for one that is good. What is emi unit. Or is it the same as a dementia unit. I do wish you luck with finding somewhere. Trouble is I only have 3 hours on a Friday to look at places. Best to ask anyone and everyone you know if they have friends or relatives that might have experience of homes.All the best casbow.x

angiebails

Oct 8, 2009
crewe
He it seems hard I have been using carehomes.co.uk which lists the homes and most have lots of reviews written by relatives , it also has a link to the reports by care quality commission with detailed reports on various aspects, you do have to take an overall view but at least it's a start when you are short on time. We also have a local group on line which was called street wise and it is now called Nextdoor (which is also available as an app) where local people can ask questions regarding anything and a lady brought this subject up and got lots of honest answers from relatives who had family in local care homes. Gave me lots of ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Well David came out of the care home a week ago today. He has been so different. Apart from the tiredness for a few days and trying to get his bottom better as he has sores (Thanks to the care home) he has been so nice to look after. No aggression, no refusal of personal care, and lots of thank you,s. And then this morning at 9.00 he had another seizure. I really thought the tablets were to stop seizures. Anyway paramedics as usual so brilliant and kind. Because he had the fit in the bathroom he became wedged in the corner and after trying everything else (David wouldn't or couldn't co-operate) so he had to be pulled out by his legs until someone could get behind him to get him in a sitting position. they asked if i wanted him to go to hospital and I said no, as long as they thought it o.k. So we got him back to bed where he still is. He has been asleep all the time except when i give him a drink and I gave him weetabix at 12. So now I wait to see if he has been changed again.!! I hate seeing him have these fits. It is very distressing.xx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh Casbow, what a shame. I'm so sorry to hear about David's seizure today. It must be very frightening, and worrying too. I hope the rest he is having today helps a little.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Needed to change him. He was awake so I asked him if he would like to walk to the bathroom so i could just make him more comfortable. He was so horrible to me. I did get him changed but it was very difficult and I thought he was going to hit me. Lets hope he will become nice again!!!

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
What a rollercoaster for you Casbow. You must be feeling really down having the horrible behaviour back after a good week with him. The threat of physical violence is very worrying, I'm sure you've had other advice about how to deal with this but do take care to keep yourself as safe as possible.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Well today has been quite ok. I would have liked to wash his hair but no way was he havin g that. Never mind maybe tomorrow. I have another problem. He had been turning off the out side light for a long while which is probably not a big deal but we have no street lights in the village so milk and newspaper deliveries are in the pitch black unless people have lights that come on. Then he started turning on the immersion heater electric switch. We use oil and that heats the water as well as the radiators. Then he has started turning up thermostat for the central heating to 35 . I can actually smell the heating apart from the discomfort. Then today i found an electric cooker plate full on. Does anyone else have this problem. I find it very worrying. I can turn of the cooker at source (If I remember) but don't know what else to do..xxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
For outside lights, you could get a motion sensor light- even a battery operated one maybe? The immersion switch, maybe an electrician could move the switch and leave a"dummy" switch where the switch is now?
The heating thermostat, I'm afraid I have no ideas at all!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Talking Point mobile app

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Solved the problem of the switch for the hot water. "Turned it of at the main power box." So now he can turn the switch and no power to it.x Friends have also found a cover for the central heating control that can be locked, so I have ordered that. Clever old me.!!! x

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Hi. Since Davids seizure on Monday he has settled again and is so quiet and happy in his own way. He just sits and fiddles with his cards,keys, bits of plastic etc and talks quietly to him self all the time. Still haven't asked him to have a shower but managing with adult wipes and flannel and soap. Walk before we can run i think. Today he has slept more than usual but I think it is because he is so relaxed now. I need to get sorted on the financial side of things. Keep putting it off. xx

cuppatea

Oct 28, 2016
South Wales
Good news that peace has returned. Try to do the financial stuff, I felt so relieved when it was done, one less thing to worry about.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Today has been a good day. Then this evening he said he needed a wee. I just said OK. He often does say that, but only walks out of the room and back in again. He goes to use the toilet but is too late. This evening he came back in the lounge and sat next to me. I have towels on both settees because of the dog hairs. Next thing I looked and saw his pad had been dumped on the settee. Anyway he was very wet so I took him to the bathroom and got him ready for bed. When I went back to the lounge he had wet two of the settee cushions quite badly. I have sprayed them with fabreeze but don't know if it will be enough. Then tonight I know he will wet the bed enough to warrant a kylie, top sheet, duvet cover and if I am really unlucky the bottom sheet and at least one pillowcase. It is costing a lot in electric to wash dry everything and i am worn out. Anyone have any suggestions. xxx