Problems at the Care Home

Louisagap

Mar 6, 2015

Hi Everyone
My mother-in-law has been in a Care Home for people with dementia for 2-3 years. We don't think the one she is in is particularly good in terms of catering for people as individuals and understanding their specific needs, but we have been reluctant to move her incase the change is too confusing. She is quite with it a lot of the time and other times she talks as if the past and present are happening all at once. She constantly wants to "go home" but we think home is where she used to live years ago when she first married - miles away and with her grown up sons small children. Consequently she is always packing up to get ready. We visit her twice a week and she has an outside carer coming in twice a week to do activities with her as the home don't really do any. Recently she fell and broke her hip in the home. She survived the operation and is doing well with her mobility. Before the fall she used to lie on her bed a lot (not good I know) and she didn't like being in the common lounge (can't blame her). Since the fall the staff have been persuading her to sit in the lounge because they say she only lies down on her bed when she goes to her room. So now every time we see her all she talks about is going home - I think being amongst all the people downstairs has made her more aware of her situation. What do people think? I think we should ask the staff to leave her in her room and not worry about the bed as long as they give her exercise three times a day along the corridor. We can't stop her getting onto her bed and maybe she just feels more comfortable there. Any views? Thanks so much.

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
I think you are right to ask the staff to not put her in the main lounge where she is unhappy...definately she seems to prefer her room and bed...and I think you have done and are doing your utmost to ensure her as much comfort as possible in the circumstances.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I'd ay let her stay in her room if that's where she is happiest, does she have TV /music/ a window to look out of?

Does she have appropriate seating in there?

I would encourage walking to the dining room 3 times a day, as well a perhaps a 1:1 wander round the home each day on some pretext ( may mid PM cuppa served in the lounge and encouraged to go and have it, then return to her room?

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
It sounds to me that the staff are trying to encourage variety into her day but if she seems ok and content in her room maybe that is more important for her and her stage. However it will hopefully be with a radio, tv on or able to see outside or people going past her room and popping in to chat and check so she is not isolated for long periods of time.