Court of protection order

Spitty

Nov 7, 2015
Dads Alzheimer's has been gradually getting worse and my mum has LPA in place for dads financial affairs .Mum has just been in hospital for 3 weeks and is really ill ,We are muddling through as a family,dad can't be left alone with mum as we don't know where he may go ,or what he might do ,and mum is too ill herself .Mum and dad usually live ok together with our daily help ,until now .We are staying 24/7 with mum and dad at the moment ,as mum is so ill ,I was wandering about a court of protection order ,as there is only the lpa in place at the moment .We don't really know which way to turn ,as things aren't looking very good at the moment.I mentioned rest bite for dad to see if we can get mum back on her feet ,but she doesn't want dad to go anywhere away from home ,it's all so hard ,any help or suggestions would be appreciated

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Your mother holds an LPA for your father? Both or just financial? And does she still have capacity?

I'm not sure what you could achieve with a COP order (which I doubt would be granted anyway). If you want him in respite then that would be up to your mother (with you acting as facilitator and the "legs" of the operation), but if she doesn't want him to go, and you can't persuade her the COP will not force him to go against her wishes.

I'm wondering - have you investigated both of them going into to respite for a while? I know the home my mother was in had people who didn't have dementia but were recuperating from surgery etc. and at least some of those also had partners or parents who had dementia and were at the home with them.

I can see why this is untenable situation for the extended family but you are going to either have to live with it or persuade her. Perhaps if you looked at possible homes, went for visits etc, she might be willing to let him go. I can understand why, ill as she is herself, she's going with the status quo: she probably doesn't have the energy to consider any other options and may well feel guilty about not being able to care for your father.

Alternatively - you hire someone (or more than one someone) to provide care in their own home.

Spitty

Nov 7, 2015
Cop,

Thanks for your reply Jennifer,mums LPA is th financial one for dad and mum has the mental capacity.I don't think there will be any persuading mum to let dad go anywhere ,she has always said so long as she's able to he will stay at home with her .Ive always been on call to go down day or night for the last 3 years since dads diagnosis ,and I will continue to do so ,or stay whenever necessary,which it is necessary at the moment .Will take each day as it comes and see what happens .thankyou

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Assisted living

Often worry about similar situation as MOH has Alzheimer's and I am 75 and, although not researched, was wondering about assisted living accommodation with warden etc available.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
What about treating respite for both of them as a "holiday". Find a really nice nursing home in a nice location and have a 2 week break. Shared room.

Just a thought...

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Are you OK

Feb 15, 2017
Essex
CoP Deptuty.. do you need it

Spitty,

The purpose of a CoP Deputy is to step in where someone does not have capacity to make an LPA declaration.

Did mum issue a LPA for herself? If so you should invoke that. I will try and find out but I think that if mum is LPA for dad and you invoke LPA for mum... you effectively become LPA for dad?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"Did mum issue a LPA for herself? If so you should invoke that. I will try and find out but I think that if mum is LPA for dad and you invoke LPA for mum... you effectively become LPA for dad?"

No, only an LPA, or if necessary a replacement LPA, chosen by your dad and named in the power can act.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet