Crunch day tomorrow

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
It's called confabulation, Mary. This filling in memory blanks with either out of place memories or complete fabrication.
My husband's consultant explained it this way: as we rack up experiences, study new things, read, keep socially and physically active- all these things, particularly if we keep our brains active by continuing to study and learn all our lives, mean our brains are building neural pathways. When Alzheimer's or dementia strikes, and the brain, as it works, starts running into damaged areas, (like roadblocks on the neural pathways), the more neural pathways there are, the longer the brain can continue finding"diversions". Eventually though, there comes a point where there are too many"roadblocks". The Alzheimer's disease has been working away in the background, destroying parts of the brain. No more diversions can be made, so it looks as if there's been a very sudden deterioration.

Once I understood this, I could see it happening in my husband. I could see how sometimes, he would, when talking about something, hesitate momentarily and then continue, but he would use an odd word or phrase to say what he had started saying. Like once, he was feeling cold from being outside and was trying to say his hands were cold. There was that slight pause, and he said "my gloves are freezing."

Sent from my Moto G Play using Talking Point mobile app

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Lady A, OH was the same. Scored 29 or 30 in the early days. Then no test for years, then scored 1/2! Well, to be fair, they didn't bother with more than a couple of questions. But he was intelligent as well. I'm not sure it was deliberate, I think it depends on what part of the brain has been affected. But he kept most of his language skills, and his sense of humour, for many years. Skills with and understanding electronic things were going before diagnosis!
Yes- William lost a lot of skills before he noticeably lost other things. But I remember one incident that left me stunned! We met an old friend in the street, and stood chatting for a good 20 minutes. William was delighted to chat- it was someone he had always liked. But as we had said goodbye and were crossing the street, he said" Who was that? I'm sure I should know him." [emoji33] [emoji33] And at no point in the long conversation had I picked up even a hint that he didn't know who he was talking to!!

mary2000

Mar 24, 2016
West Sussex
It's called confabulation, Mary. This filling in memory blanks with either out of place memories or complete fabrication.
My husband's consultant explained it this way: as we rack up experiences, study new things, read, keep socially and physically active- all these things, particularly if we keep our brains active by continuing to study and learn all our lives, mean our brains are building neural pathways. When Alzheimer's or dementia strikes, and the brain, as it works, starts running into damaged areas, (like roadblocks on the neural pathways), the more neural pathways there are, the longer the brain can continue finding"diversions". Eventually though, there comes a point where there are too many"roadblocks". The Alzheimer's disease has been working away in the background, destroying parts of the brain. No more diversions can be made, so it looks as if there's been a very sudden deterioration.

Once I understood this, I could see it happening in my husband. I could see how sometimes, he would, when talking about something, hesitate momentarily and then continue, but he would use an odd word or phrase to say what he had started saying. Like once, he was feeling cold from being outside and was trying to say his hands were cold. There was that slight pause, and he said "my gloves are freezing."

Thank you so much Lady A - explained like that it makes so much more sense. I so appreciate it and as you can imagine I am learning every day. I am having to learn to be patient and more understanding which I know it is hard when so tired and frustrated but I am learning each day and devising coping techniques and education is part of that and for that I am so grateful x

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Thank you so much Lady A - explained like that it makes so much more sense. I so appreciate it and as you can imagine I am learning every day. I am having to learn to be patient and more understanding which I know it is hard when so tired and frustrated but I am learning each day and devising coping techniques and education is part of that and for that I am so grateful x
That's what TP is for, Mary!

mary2000

Mar 24, 2016
West Sussex
We had a letter this week to say that his appointment with the neuro-psychologist will be about a six month wait and we will get a date nearer the time....

Hey ho - at least we are on the list......

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
We had a letter this week to say that his appointment with the neuro-psychologist will be about a six month wait and we will get a date nearer the time....

Hey ho - at least we are on the list......

Six months. It's a long time, when you are watching someone change. :(

mary2000

Mar 24, 2016
West Sussex
Six months. It's a long time, when you are watching someone change. :(

It certainly is but I suppose it is just how things are. I have to say the GP changed him on to Sertraline and that has made a huge improvement in his mood so things are much better on that front at least :)