Advice needed.....or just support.

Princess t

Mar 15, 2016
Par for the course, I'm afraid.

Yes I know......it is such a strange illness. It's like selective memory...she remembers some family members but talk about others and she's forgotten who they are! She knows the youngest great grandchild but doesn't remember her mother (granddaughter) so sad.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Hi
Any one got any experience with panic buttons worn round neck? Mom coming home from care tomorrow and one been fitted at her house. She had one a few yrs ago but had it removed, never used it. The one fitted yesterday goes off if she falls. And she can also press button if she needs to. I'm just wondering. What do the callers do if we arnt around to assist. We will be 99% of the time and I am hoping my other sisters are on list for contact....I haven't set this up eldest sister has. With the button my mom has to press I'm worried she just won't press it!! What happens if she just drops the fall one? Just things buzzing round in my head....silly really. Can read manual that's at moms but would just line to know of other people's experiences with them.

Although they can be very useful. when it comes to dementia people will often forget what they're for, or forget to wear them anyway. My mother had one but she just kept tidying it away so effectively that we would have a job to find it. Though TBH even if she'd had a fall with it in place around her neck, I doubt very much that she'd have remembered what it was for. I think the professionals who advocate such things don't always appreciate the practical realities of dementia.
Still, always worth trying - you never know, especially in earlier stages.

Last edited:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
First time OH went into respite care they placed a buzzer around his neck and said press it when you want anything. He looked with some curiosity, trying to work out what it was! I don't think he ever used it though!