Move to nursing home

shark2

Aug 22, 2012
n ireland
Hi everyone,
Haven't been on this forum much recently but just wanted to ask a few questions.

My mum has frontal lobe dementia and was in an EMI unit for nearly 2 years. She coped well enough but her mobility became so bad that the home said they couldn't manage her anymore.

I visited a dementia nursing home on the Wednesday, they had a bed available on Monday and mum moved last Thursday.

It didn't phase her at all, doesn't even know she's moved. I'm finding it hard because they are putting a clothes protector (bib) on her at meal times and today she was drinking her tea from a sippy cup. Last week my mum was drinking tea out of a normal cup. Is this standard practice for a nursing home? I don't want them taking away the little independence she has.

In fairness her hands would be a bit shaky, and I noticed she was eating her food off the knife instead of the fork so did spill some. Are they being kind of just taking the easy way out, iykwim ?.

The move happened so fast so I didn't know what to expect from a nursing home. I would love to hear what you think??

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
In fairness her hands would be a bit shaky, and I noticed she was eating her food off the knife instead of the fork so did spill some. Are they being kind of just taking the easy way out?

I think you've answered your own question really. I've seen more than one visitor complain that their PWD has food marks on their clothes.
If my wife didn't wear one they'd have to change her clothes after every meal as it is they have to wash her hands and face as she can't remember how to use cutlery.
I'm now at the point of suggesting she uses a sipping cup as her hand to eye coordination is going so she misses her mouth.
I'd rather she dirtied a few aprons a day than her clothes.
K

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Perhaps you could suggest mum has tea in a proper cup when she's sat at a table. There should be no reason for her to use a sippy cup if she doesn't need one ( I presume you mean one with a lid) although she maybe safer when sat casually in an armchair.

Wouldn't worry too much about clothes protector- the upside is residents look better presented without food down their front, maybe everyone wears one- if you really don't want her to, say so

shark2

Aug 22, 2012
n ireland
Thanks guys, I think I wasn't prepared for the difference in residential and nursing. I suppose in my eyes my mum isn't as far along her journey as she realistically is.

MeganCat

Jan 29, 2013
South Wales
My mums NH do use a clothes protector, or sometimes a cloth napkin.
Mum cant hold a cup now but they persevered getting her to hold her own tea cup as long as she would eg putting her hands around it - she knew what to do with it then!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar