Hello!

claire221

Feb 4, 2017
Hi everyone, hope this is in the right place! I'm a first year uni student in Canterbury and my granddad has dementia/Alzheimer's. He, and my cousins/aunt and uncle live with him in Oxford and my home home address is about 200 miles away from that.

Up until November last year I could have a really good conversation with him on the phone lasting for about half an hour but pretty much Christmas completely threw him off kilter, he's become completely withdrawn and when I do have a conversation with him (it's gone from basically once a day to about once every 2 weeks) it lasts max 2 minutes because "the postie comes" and then when my Mum (her Dad) rings too it's a similar affaire, and he turns the phone off at the plug so no one can ring.
I want to try to stay in contact with him, I've thought about writing letters and tried to but it feels horrible because it feels like I'm basically (sorry if this sounds too forceful) writing a letter to someone who's dead and I hate that so much!

To make matters worse I'm scared (like really scared) of my Aunt and to an extent my Uncle because they get really aggressive (by aggressive I mean things like "she doesn't do enough to help, she's a ******* daughter etc etc etc) with my Mum and have done for many years about the situation. I feel really protective to my Mum because I don't like anyone being mean to her.

Despite me being 18 and me and mum having an agreement that we'd talk openly and honestly and never keep secrets my aunt believes it's actually nothing at all to do with me so basically I should butt out, but in the same breath I'm like I'm the eldest of his 3 grandkids. I also feel quite not in control of the situation.

He lives in a massive house with my aunt, uncle and two cousins (his two grandkids ) who are going away to australia for three weeks over Easter- He's basically going to have to go in a home :( could someone answer these questions I have?

- I'm worried I won't be allowed to call him if he's in a home - what's the system for that?
- I'm worried something will happen to him and I'll never get to speak to him again :( is there any way of getting over that?
- I'm soooooo scared of my aunt and co that I don't know how we are going to get over it, at the same time I don't want to go over there or talk to her because I'm scared of her!
- I also keep walking past the same spots me and my granddad had really long conversations about really random stuff - any way to dissociate the place with that?

Sorry for the super long message :/

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
Hi and welcome to TP.

Your aunt must be stressed by care work. Maybe she needs more help.

Maybe worth a try a call on Skype or FaceTime, maybe he can react better seeing you (or not).

Unfortunately, dementia is progressive. Maybe your aunt can tell you if he has some infection ( UTI are commons and causes more confusion), or that's 2 minutes calls are him new stage.

As I don't live on UK, idk about phone calls. ( on my country it is not common to allow residents near phone, as they may dial randomly)

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

claire221

Feb 4, 2017
Hi and welcome to TP.

Your aunt must be stressed by care work. Maybe she needs more help.

Maybe worth a try a call on Skype or FaceTime, maybe he can react better seeing you (or not).

Unfortunately, dementia is progressive. Maybe your aunt can tell you if he has some infection ( UTI are commons and causes more confusion), or that's 2 minutes calls are him new stage.

As I don't live on UK, idk about phone calls. ( on my country it is not common to allow residents near phone, as they may dial randomly)

]

Thanks for your reply! It's just annoying because every time I try that she's like you have nothing to do with it or she's like he won't want to do that so yeah I hate being caught in the middle!

Morty

Dec 13, 2016
Southeast Ireland
Bitter sweet welcome Claire
Yes its tough esp on the carer tbh
Just try to be there for carer and do your best with the time you have spare
Great site for advice and comfort.

Morty

Dec 13, 2016
Southeast Ireland
You will of course be able visit the carehome,no problem.
Sounds like your auntie needs the break,families are complex,Auntie probably feeling alienated and resentfull towards others as if your not living the caring role you cant comprehend the sheer scale of work,emotions,exhaustion,frustrations etc