Electric Shaver that Dad can't dismantle !

PaulC10

May 29, 2013
London
Hoping someone here will have had similar experience and can provide a recommendation.

Dad, who is now in a Care Home, has for many years used Philips Electric shavers the sort with 3 floating heads (other brands and styles available).

In last few months, as his Dementia has progressed, whilst he's still perfectly capable of shaving himself he increasingly struggles with cleaning the razor and invariably ends up unclipping various retainers within the shaving head then losing them so the floating heads no longer float but instead fall inside the razor rendering it useless.

I live some distance away and only visit monthly and no matter how many times I ask that he gets staff to help or leaves it for me to clean, every visit I find it in a changed state of disrepair.

Its hard to source the clips and as a result he ends up with a new razor (of same style as existing one) every few months.

Doe anyone know of another brand /style of electric shaver without any accessible moving parts that he can access/lose ?

We have tried suggesting that staff look after it and only give it to him to shave and then give back but he , understandably, sees this as a further infringement on his personal space so reluctant to go down that route unless we can find no alternative.

He also steadfastly refuses to grow a beard , though I think he looks rather good with one - he's never had one and I think views them to be in the same class as tattoos, ponytails or piercings !

Any suggestions appreciated.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
I think you'll have to ask the staff to take charge of the razor. You could tell Dad that it's for health and safety reasons, new law just came out, the shaver has to be checked by the technician every time it's used......... Or just accept that you will need to replace it regularly. Dementia is about the most expensive illness I know. The attrition rate for gadgets is scary. You have my sympathy.

Last edited:

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Try ebay for spare parts?? Ask your retailer if there's a repair shop they can recommend. Or...sorry,:( as has been suggested , ask the staff to keep it for him and take it back when used.
x.

oldbones

Oct 19, 2013
There is a razor which is self cleaning

Hoping someone here will have had similar experience and can provide a recommendation.

Dad, who is now in a Care Home, has for many years used Philips Electric shavers the sort with 3 floating heads (other brands and styles available).

In last few months, as his Dementia has progressed, whilst he's still perfectly capable of shaving himself he increasingly struggles with cleaning the razor and invariably ends up unclipping various retainers within the shaving head then losing them so the floating heads no longer float but instead fall inside the razor rendering it useless.

I live some distance away and only visit monthly and no matter how many times I ask that he gets staff to help or leaves it for me to clean, every visit I find it in a changed state of disrepair.

Its hard to source the clips and as a result he ends up with a new razor (of same style as existing one) every few months.

Doe anyone know of another brand /style of electric shaver without any accessible moving parts that he can access/lose ?

We have tried suggesting that staff look after it and only give it to him to shave and then give back but he , understandably, sees this as a further infringement on his personal space so reluctant to go down that route unless we can find no alternative.

He also steadfastly refuses to grow a beard , though I think he looks rather good with one - he's never had one and I think views them to be in the same class as tattoos, ponytails or piercings !

Any suggestions appreciated.

My husband has altziemers and dementia, and no matter how clean of haair his face is he still complains that it has not shaved properly. He now has 14 razors (which don't work according to him) I have recently bought him a very expensive one (£299) from Argos which is self cleaning. Every couple of months you just have to change the cleaning fluid. It works brilliantly. Unfortunately my husband still does not think he is properly shaved. This is just one of his paranoias/psychosis. I found that I could have purchased it from ebay for for £176. Hope this helps. You would just need to change it when you visit when you see the light is low.

malc

Aug 15, 2012
north east lincolnshire
i'd just accept the end result and buy a few cheap ones,all the same brand and keep replacing them,everybody has there quirks which seem to be enlightened by the disease,my wife used to like pigs,now she loves everything pig,ornaments,blanket,hot water bottle etc,i just go with the flow.

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
I think you'll have to ask the staff to take charge of the razor. You could tell Dad that it's for health and safety reasons, new law just came out, the shaver has to be checked by the technician every time it's used......... Or just accept that you will need to replace it regularly. Dementia is about the most expensive illness I know. The attrition rate for gadgets is scary. You have my sympathy.

When my step mother was in the care home the son generally spoke to her and I generally went around looking for missing items.
Everything went missing, slippers, shoes, glasses, joggers for example.
We found other residents property in her room.

The nurse said the problem was some residents only had relatives call once a week and other's had different relatives calling each day so they did not get to know the residents property.

Oddly I found a man's glasses in my step mother's room and returned them to him as they had his name on them.
He was shouting out I had stolen them.
The nurse said if I found anything belonging to him see her.

William

Titch84

Feb 1, 2017
Bognor Regis, West Sussex
My husband has altziemers and dementia, and no matter how clean of haair his face is he still complains that it has not shaved properly. He now has 14 razors (which don't work according to him) I have recently bought him a very expensive one (£299) from Argos which is self cleaning. Every couple of months you just have to change the cleaning fluid. It works brilliantly. Unfortunately my husband still does not think he is properly shaved. This is just one of his paranoias/psychosis. I found that I could have purchased it from ebay for for £176. Hope this helps. You would just need to change it when you visit when you see the light is low.

What is the make and model of this razor please and if poss the catalogue number.

Morty

Dec 13, 2016
Southeast Ireland
Dont spend a lot of money,please look at the €20 phillips one,i must have bought 4-5 much more expensive ones and dad dropped or broke them...
Oh this one is battery not mains which is even better imo as put in best batteries lasts for ages and no cables plugs etc,minimal problems

tigerlady

Nov 29, 2015
Dont spend a lot of money,please look at the €20 phillips one,i must have bought 4-5 much more expensive ones and dad dropped or broke them...
Oh this one is battery not mains which is even better imo as put in best batteries lasts for ages and no cables plugs etc,minimal problems

I have spent hundreds on razors since my husband has been in care - they either went missing or he put them in his pocket and fiddled with them, they went to the laundry and came back in bits. I now get the cheap portable battery operated Philips one with 2 floating heads and have a stock of one or 2 to replace them if they go missing. I also have a rechargable one which I take with me in my bag ( but never leave it there) just in case he needs a shave and they have all gone missing. sometimes they turn up. He did have 3 in his room at one time and now he has 2. I think I got the last 1 for £15.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Stick with one make, one model.
Keep the old ones, use as spares, for the current one in use!
You may get away with only buying one or two a year, rather than three a month.

Bod

onlyme1

Sep 10, 2011
scarborough
My dad's in a CH and now has an electric shaver. This is his 3rd in about 9 months. I clean it out each sunday myself, am fully expecting to have to replace it soon. He had a beard before but I think his face would get sore now.