Eating

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Try to get a referral to the SALT (speech and language therapy) team, they deal with eating, drinking and swallowing problems.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Jellies are good, either made with water or half yoghurt or evaporated milk. They slip down.

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
My nan is not eating mutch she doesn't seam to want to eat. Her doc has given her Fortisip not sure what to try.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Talking Point mobile app

Does she have problems swallowing or chewing?
Is she depressed? Did she used to enjoy her food? Does Any food you bring her tempt her? When has she last had a good laugh?

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
My nan is not eating mutch she doesn't seam to want to eat. Her doc has given her Fortisip not sure what to try.

My dad has swallowing problems, which is sad, because he loves food, especially meat. But we have been pureeing fresh fruit- lots of banana, strawberries, etc and if you buy big grapes and blanch them in boiling water, they peel easily and blend into a taste like elderflower. The big oranges they sell at Iceland now (April-May, 2017) are fantastically sweet. I say, go to fresh fruit, which we thought too expensive to do- until now, when the carers have blown our budget- so that we now say- 'whatever'...

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015

We had advice from the speech therapist to load my Dad up with creams and fat and potatoes and sugar. He got terribly constipated. After trying to get Movical down him several times a day for weeks, we are now on a high veg and fish and fruit diet. He is skinny, but healthy and regular. He is late stage Alzheimers so in a different position than your Gran, but do be aware of Constipation and of a urinary tract infection, both of which hospitalize oldies. Try to get her to drink! Drink with her, pots of tea, -whatever makes her happy!

Wozzie

Jul 12, 2016
Cheshire

Hi stu100
Before Mum went into her care home, she went through this, she actually forgot to eat or thought she had eaten, as time went on we realised she didn't know how to prepare even the simplest of things like jam on toast.
Very sad
There was no issue in her ability to eat as she is now eating 3 meals each day, I also think it helps hugely when they have someone to eat with, sort of jogs their memory.

Maybe have someone to pop in at lunch time to help her prepare a sandwich and sit with her ......
Terribly worrying time for you all.
Take care
Anne