Nursing home fees CHC funded

petromany

Sep 16, 2010
West Sussex
My hubby is presently in a nursing home for dementia (for the ast 3 years) and has u to now received partial funding from NHS CHC, after assessment in December, despite beng in the last stages, that he no longer fits the criteria, but is eligible for NFC. How can they do this when his needs are far greater now as his. Deterioration is rapid. I will not have enough funds t keep him at the home, although I am going to contest this recommendation, does anyone know whether the LA will help in this situation, I am already paying top up fees and really cannot afford t fund the loss , worried sick about this as. do not want t move him as he may not have much longer as he is not eating and virtually only sipping water. Can anyone throw any light on my predicument

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Sadly dementia is a disease that gets worse though behaviour that made the PWD qualify for CHC disappear. Decline sees the person bedridden so continual pacing, aggression to others etc stops. What were the reasons for your husband qualifying in the first place?

petromany

Sep 16, 2010
West Sussex
Sadly dementia is a disease that gets worse though behaviour that made the PWD qualify for CHC disappear. Decline sees the person bedridden so continual pacing, aggression to others etc stops. What were the reasons for your husband qualifying in the first place?

He was originally aggresive and frustrated and was a danger in the hom and outside walking in the middle of roads etc. He is still mobile and walks the corridors of the home, he has gone partially blind, and has lost many teeth breaking off due to rotting, and. Have been told that infection is more than likely t occur in the roots. Can you throw ny light on the LA helping me with fees .

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
I must admit it seems so unfair that once they reach that bed-ridden, not reacting to their environment severe stage that they are less likely to qualify. They basically just need feeing to keep the bosy going and changing so they don't have bedsores. All of which counts as 'social care' of course.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
He was originally aggresive and frustrated and was a danger in the hom and outside walking in the middle of roads etc. He is still mobile and walks the corridors of the home, he has gone partially blind, and has lost many teeth breaking off due to rotting, and. Have been told that infection is more than likely t occur in the roots. Can you throw ny light on the LA helping me with fees .

I hope that I'm not going to add more stress to your very difficult situation. First, I know it's possible to appeal against withdrawal of CHC but as I've no experience of that l will leave it those who know more.

Without CHC: If the LA are going to help with the fees, your husband's capital (excluding house if you live in it) must be less than about £24k. His state pension, Attendance Allowance and 50% of his private pension will be used to part-fund. The LA must find at least one home which can meet his needs without a 'top-up'. You could argue quite strongly that it would not meet his needs to be moved away from his current home where he is well-known and cared-for, but it is possible that LA would take the view that he could be equally well-cared for in a less expensive home.