Recommend a care home in Hertfordshire near Harpenden

Russel Sprouts

Oct 7, 2016
Good morning,
First time poster so please forgive me if wrong forum or subject covered elsewhere.
My mother is 90 and suffering from Alzheimer's and we just discovered she is also in very early stages of Parkinson's which means her mobility has worsened.

Up until a few weeks ago she was living in her own home with support but has sadly reached the stage where we think she now needs permanent care. There are no behavioural problems just a general inability to cope on her own.

Can anyone recommend a really good care home in Hertfordshire within easy reach of Harpenden?

Cost is unlikely to be a problem as we have sufficient funds.

Thanks in advance

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
Just a reminder that any recommendations should be done by private messaging, not posted on the forum

:)

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Hello Russell and welcome to TP.
We cannot recommend a CH on the forum, but if anyone knows of one, they can tell you about it by PM ( personal or private message).
Has Mum had a needs assessment? There are many types of CH and Mum's needs may be for a particular type of care.

I would ask around, perhaps Mum's GP has some advice. Ring your Adult Social Services and ask them to let you have a list of homes with vacancies.... and then, I'm afraid, it's a trail around and telephone marathon, look at the CQC " offstead"- type reports too.

Russel Sprouts

Oct 7, 2016
First of all my apologies for risking breaking any forum rules about publicly recommending a care home. Thanks for all the advice.

Fortunately this appears to now be solved. We found a very suitable care home in Ealing which is close to my sister's home. Not the most lavishly appointed but the standard of care and kindness is excellent and that is what counts for the most to us.

As commented by crazyweather care homes in Harpenden are as expected very expensive but I did contact and visit a very good one which can cope with any degree of illness all the way up to terminal care. We would consider a move to the Harpenden home when and if my mother's condition deteriorates.

Thanks also to craigmaid regarding needs assessments. We had asked for a needs assessment and a social worker turned up (on her own) and tried to railroad us into going straight to a means test telling us there was no chance of getting NHS Continuing Care.
I rejected that on the grounds the rules say the next stage is to have a full assessment by two persons including a healthcare professional.
From what I have read so far this process is long and arduous and claimants are obstructed at every stage.