Feeling so sad

Robin61

Jan 27, 2017
Hello everyone! This is my first post but have been reading posts on this site for over 2 years! It has been a mine of information and support. My OH has vascular dementia and was diagnosed early 2014. Things were OK for a while then rapid changes which resulted in him being sectioned and hospital. After 2 months he moved to respite and then long term care. Now been in care home for 17 months. How hard and sad this dementia journey is. I am 18 years younger than my husband and been married 40 years nearly!! The decline continues and I am doing all I can in visits to bring us both some comfort. I am glad I have joined forum now as next stages going to be even harder. Thank you all and hope you are all ok.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Robin61

I'm glad you've registered at long last and hope you'll get the help and support you need.

Many of us have been through the stage your OH is at and know it doesn't get easier.

You've come to the right place.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello Robin

Welcome to TP, its good you have made your first post, my husband has been in a CH for 17months, its been a hard journey, although my husband has deteriorated, it has become easier for me, as they say time helps to heal, how do your feel now?
I used to visit everyday for 5hrs, l have gradually cut down on visiting, he sleeps alot in the day now, as he is up alnight wandering.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi and welcoming me from me too.

My husband was 21 years older than me so I can understand some of what you must be going through.

I'm glad you decided to post. I know you will get lots of help and support here.

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Hello everyone! This is my first post but have been reading posts on this site for over 2 years! It has been a mine of information and support. My OH has vascular dementia and was diagnosed early 2014. Things were OK for a while then rapid changes which resulted in him being sectioned and hospital. After 2 months he moved to respite and then long term care. Now been in care home for 17 months. How hard and sad this dementia journey is. I am 18 years younger than my husband and been married 40 years nearly!! The decline continues and I am doing all I can in visits to bring us both some comfort. I am glad I have joined forum now as next stages going to be even harder. Thank you all and hope you are all ok.

Hi Robin. Nothing to add except hello from me too and you can be sure of understanding and support on here.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Robin61

Jan 27, 2017
Thank you all for your welcoming and supportive comments. I know I have come to the right place. Since my husband went into care in some ways it has become easier for me and as time has gone on I have dropped the guilt! It's just the sadness of missing him and watching this deterioration. I continue to build a new life and have good family and friends so lucky! Kind thoughts to you all.

vannesser

Apr 4, 2016
Thinking of you

My husband was diagnosed April 2016.with vascular dementia.test done as forgot stuff and muddling up speach .not Mitch Chang only forgets days and time wore as a lot abought money for some reason.i am 15 and half years younger then him been married 37year this year he 73 I 58 .its a bad thing this dementia.isant it i too read a lot and worry I try not to but can not help it trying to think of all the good things we have done in past and hoping can as best we can till the day I can not thinking of you

Robin61

Jan 27, 2017
No offence taken....

Crazyweather....your post made me smile. You are indeed spot on and many people have told me how lucky my husband was to have a younger wife!! He was widowed early on in life and came with 2 young children. We then added one of our own. Age difference is no problem if personalities match and there is plenty of love. Just sad to watch this disease take him away more each day. Thanks for reminding me of how happy I made him.