watching emmerdale farm

vannesser

Apr 4, 2016
been following the program along time and with Ashley having dementia it is good acting and a lot of people on her are going or gone throu simmer things .

with my oh been diagnosed last year with vascala dementia I know no whot might or will happen in the futcher its a little daunting but will just take things as it happens .and hope I can handel it .
as enyone else been watching it and if so what do you think of the program making people aware of this bad dessese sorry abought spelling not very good

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I think it`s very well done Vanesser even if the progression is going a bit too quickly to be believable.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
been following the program along time and with Ashley having dementia it is good acting and a lot of people on her are going or gone throu simmer things .

with my oh been diagnosed last year with vascala dementia I know no whot might or will happen in the futcher its a little daunting but will just take things as it happens .and hope I can handel it .
as enyone else been watching it and if so what do you think of the program making people aware of this bad dessese sorry abought spelling not very good

Hello Vanesser. I think Emmerdale has been very good to show what dementia is like or can be like. Remember once you have seen one person with dementia you have seen one person with dementia. My husband was diagnosed nearly 10 years ago. Everyone who has it is different. Emmerdale appears to be fast forwarding the whole process. What is happening to Ashley is most likely to take a whole lot longer in most PWD. But I am no expert. Unless he actor playing him, wants leave soon, l I don't know why it is happening so fast. But maybe others here on TP will know different. Please Vanesser try to just live one day at a time. What will happen no one knows. So try to relax and enjoy what life you have. I worry about you. Just try to take it one day at at a time. Love to you.xx

vannesser

Apr 4, 2016
Thank you

Hello Vanesser. I think Emmerdale has been very good to show what dementia is like or can be like. Remember once you have seen one person with dementia you have seen one person with dementia. My husband was diagnosed nearly 10 years ago. Everyone who has it is different. Emmerdale appears to be fast forwarding the whole process. What is happening to Ashley is most likely to take a whole lot longer in most PWD. But I am no expert. Unless he actor playing him, wants leave soon, l I don't know why it is happening so fast. But maybe others here on TP will know different. Please Vanesser try to just live one day at a time. What will happen no one knows. So try to relax and enjoy what life you have. I worry about you. Just try to take it one day at at a time. Love to you.xx

I think he is leaving the program soon .i do try and go day to day but find it hard sometimes with ho .as wether things he does are dementia related or just him but getting there a long way to go hopefully thanks again for reply xxx

Last edited:

oilovlam

Aug 2, 2015
South East
My mum loved Emmerdale...is it still a farm? Well, she loved it when it was still a farm and not full of yuppies. Before that Crossroads.

I think I will try watching again.

It does sound a bit like a gimmick....either the actor has said that they don't want to show the progression over a long period or (more likely) the writers see this as a 'ground breaking' event, they have 'ticked the box' and want to move onto the next story line as quickly as possible.

I shall start watching after many years abstinence.

It would be good to look at the pressures within the family that dementia can reveal.

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
I was an emmerdale viewer but I got behind and had episodes recorded. I was advised by friends to delete them as they thought I would find the Ashley story upsetting. I understand he has acted it extremely well and worked with the ahlzheimers society. I believe he is being written out around Easter.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

vannesser

Apr 4, 2016
Watched

I was an emmerdale viewer but I got behind and had episodes recorded. I was advised by friends to delete them as they thought I would find the Ashley story upsetting. I understand he has acted it extremely well and worked with the ahlzheimers society. I believe he is being written out around Easter.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

I have seen it and yes your friend was right .some of the things are sad and upsetting .i no what might happen or will .other half only told last April he has vascular dementia.witch Ashley has but Ashley plays a young 54.my oh 72 when told its difficult but keep going . Xx

oilovlam

Aug 2, 2015
South East
I have been watching it with certain reservations which I have notified the production team about. It's all been too quick and easy. You do not get your loved one in care as quickly as the programme seems to imply. I would love to know how much the cheque was for that Laurel's dad gave her. It must be an inordinate amount if they are funding themselves for however long. Where is the Social Worker? Why are they not saying anything about letters etc from the funding people? Is he entitled to continuing health care? If not or, if so, it's an issue that should be highlighted because people watching this need to know it exists. It troubles me greatly.

Baxter, I can understand where you are coming from but I guess the nitty-gritty of funding and how the system works probably doesn't make for watchable soap opera, so they probably have to filter out all the 'boring', irritating, stressful stuff that we have to deal with.

I guess it must be difficult for an actor to portray withdrawal and other symptoms of dementia over a long period of time. So I guess they would want to condense the timeline. As long as they show some of the strains that families have due to the illness....it is impossible to show what really happens in a show like Emmerdale (it has to be airbrushed to a certain extent). I guess the audience are attached to Ashley - the character - and could get upset...just like we are at times.

It must be difficult for the actor as well because there is no way to come back. They are acting themselves out of a job. A brave thing to do.

di65

Feb 28, 2013
new zealand
Here in New Zealand we are only up to where Ashley walks away from the hospital after the TIA and is brought back to Emmerdale. The actors changing I thought was a brilliant idea, as it was shown from Ashley's perspective where no-one seems familiar. I have friends who watch the program who ask me if it is a realistic portrayal. I answer that, yes, to me it is, although sped up, and in reality a bit 'sanitised'. It portrays my husband's journey far more accurately than I felt Still Alice did, but of course, everyone's journey is SO different. I have some 'moments' whilst watching, but I love the program, which I first started watching in about 2011 when sitting and watching TV was something we could do together. Sadly he lost the ability to comprehend story lines, but by that time I was hooked :D