New Deal on Dementia and a new brand for Alzheimer’s Society

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Hi everyone,

Alzheimer’s Society is launching an ambitious new five year strategy – the New Deal on Dementia.

>Read more about our mission to make dementia impossible to ignore<

We want to transform support for people affected by dementia, to reach more people with dementia, carers, families and friends and connect them to the support, information and services that they need.

Dementia doesn’t get the attention it deserves. We want to galvanise a movement for change to recognise the rights of people affected by dementia, break down stigma and change attitudes.

We want to lead the way in dementia research to bring the research community together and we will start by being a founding partner in the Dementia Research Institute. We will also put the knowledge and experiences of people affected by dementia at the heart of research.

Our new brand, with the strapline United Against Dementia, will help us to deliver on the New Deal for Dementia. Many people affected by dementia were involved in developing our brand. They agreed that we need to be bolder, more distinctive and more visible.

logo.jpg

>Find out more about the new brand<

From today, you will see changes on the Alzheimer’s Society website and social media pages. We're also introducing a new look on Talking Point. :)

Thanks,

Serena
Online Community Manager

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
good news, SerenaS
I'm proud to be playing a tiny part in this New Deal
if there's anything certain it's that all of us here on TP are United Against Dementia
and we're walking hand in hand supporting each other

I really hope the Dementia Research Institute can come up with something to make a difference; it's badly needed

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I like the "people affected by dementia" rather than just "people living with dementia" - because it broadens the base, and includes carers, family, even neighbours- in fact anyone who has contact with people with dementia. Great scope for educating people.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Talking Point mobile app

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Thousands of people will welcome this.....Thank goodness, and thanks to wherever this initiative has come from.

Joined up research is so important....And yes, the donations response to leaflets is discouraging.

Last edited:

ricci1003

Feb 8, 2017
Hi everyone,

Alzheimer’s Society is launching an ambitious new five year strategy – the New Deal on Dementia.

>Read more about our mission to make dementia impossible to ignore<

We want to transform support for people affected by dementia, to reach more people with dementia, carers, families and friends and connect them to the support, information and services that they need.

Dementia doesn’t get the attention it deserves. We want to galvanise a movement for change to recognise the rights of people affected by dementia, break down stigma and change attitudes.

We want to lead the way in dementia research to bring the research community together and we will start by being a founding partner in the Dementia Research Institute. We will also put the knowledge and experiences of people affected by dementia at the heart of research.

Our new brand, with the strapline United Against Dementia, will help us to deliver on the New Deal for Dementia. Many people affected by dementia were involved in developing our brand. They agreed that we need to be bolder, more distinctive and more visible.

View attachment 53705

>Find out more about the new brand<

From today, you will see changes on the Alzheimer’s Society website and social media pages. We're also introducing a new look on Talking Point. :)

Thanks,

Serena
Online Community Manager

Will this strategy serve as guarantee that the 'pioneering' branch of medical research still won't be identifying the cause(s) of dementia over the next 5 years?

Last edited by a moderator:

oilovlam

Aug 2, 2015
South East
I don't wish to sound negative....but my initial thought was...."about time". I probably don't know all the initiatives that have taken place but there hasn't been much of a fight to tackle this disease. Every year there seems to be almost a 'celebration' when the number of sufferers reaches a new milestone. Nothing seems to be getting done. No new medicines. No joined up thinking. People are struggling to get affordable care homes that have the dementia expertise and the facilities.

I wish you luck....but also...about time.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Hi ricci1003,

We're very sorry for the delay in replying, and thanks for your comments. It sounds like you're concerned about how research and identifying risks will feature in the new strategy. We address the risk factors and prevention on our website here: https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/20010/risk_factors_and_prevention

We also have a factsheet with more information on the risk factors for dementia: https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/download/downloads/id/1770/factsheet_risk_factors_for_dementia.pdf

You can email researchenquiries@alzheimers.org.uk with any questions, and they should be able to help further. I hope this is helpful.

Saun_A

Jul 9, 2016
I don't wish to sound negative....but my initial thought was...."about time". I probably don't know all the initiatives that have taken place but there hasn't been much of a fight to tackle this disease. Every year there seems to be almost a 'celebration' when the number of sufferers reaches a new milestone. Nothing seems to be getting done. No new medicines. No joined up thinking. People are struggling to get affordable care homes that have the dementia expertise and the facilities.

I wish you luck....but also...about time.

Hi oliovlam,

Thank you for your comment.

The aim of the new strategy and brand is to help us make dementia and Alzheimer’s Society impossible to ignore and underpins our ambition to reach every single person affected by the condition. We also hope to a build a growing dementia movement. This will help to fund more research (leading to new treatments), create lasting change, and improve care and support for everyone whose life is touched by dementia.

Dementia is the biggest health challenge facing society today and we need to do more. We must bring dementia out of the shadows and change the conversation from hopelessness and apathy to hope and action.

Thanks,

Saun.

Talking Point Team.