Heating problem

Princess t

Mar 15, 2016
My 92 yr mother with dementia and altzimers is absolutely obsessed with her heating thermostat at the moment. Because of her heating system it can't be changed to a simpler one, which to be honest wouldn't make much difference. But my mom has to keep going to airing cupboard, look at boiler then she goes to thermostat and either turns it up or down, it's automatic so basically keeps her house through out the day a nice constant temp. But some times she presses the wrong button and this turns it off or like the other day she put it on 28degs and it didn't shut off. I've been in there when it's freezing because she has turned it off. Today my sister has been with her and sh was constantly asking for heating to be turned off. Then turn back on. She says we have changed her heating.and it's all new......it's over ten years old!! I've put a note on thermostats stuck all over with cello tape saying not to touch but she says she never does even though we have seen her. And she keeps unsticking the note and saying it's the carers. We are just worried she will turn it off and get cold her house is a mobile home so gets cold very quick.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Can you arrange to have the boiler boxed in 'to conform with new government regulations', and then put a dummy thermostat on the cover.

Take note of any ventilation requirements in the installation document which for a reasonably recent installation you should have.

I note you said there was a complaint of 'too hot', in one respect you are lucky, usually if the radiators aren't HOT the system is broken no matter how hot the room is.

velocity

Feb 18, 2013
North Notts
Hi You can get an 'App' for a Smart Phone, it works through your email address from a thermostat you can buy separately from a large utility provider and other retail outlets, that can possibly be installed out of reach but in a relevant place for a thermostat. You can then regulate the temperature from your phone.
I don't know if this will help you but I thought it worth a mention.
Best wishes xx

Oh Knickers

Nov 19, 2016
Heating COntrols

Have been through this one with my mother. I had the simple dial removed and a central heating programmer installed. We didn't let on that the cover could be lifted and doubted that, with mother's dementia, she would be capable of re-programming. There are up and down buttons. However, the programming is such that should she switch it down the programme goes back to 'normal' after a few hours. Mother's programmer has 7 settings a day. So about every 2 hours. See the link:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/honeywell-cm901-room-thermostat/39124

There are several models available. I just got the 24 hour one as weekend programming is not necessary. Mother is unable to work it out so it is working well.

I got utterly fed up of doing 5 hours round trips when she complained the central heating was not working to find she had turned the heating down to 15C or off. Hence the above. If push comes to shove and she learns how to fiddle with this model I am putting a transparent. lockable box over a suggested above.

If there is fiddling of the actual boiler one suggestion on this site was to hide it behind kitchen cupboard doors. On the basis - out of sight, out of mind.

Good luck.

Princess t

Mar 15, 2016
Have been through this one with my mother. I had the simple dial removed and a central heating programmer installed. We didn't let on that the cover could be lifted and doubted that, with mother's dementia, she would be capable of re-programming. There are up and down buttons. However, the programming is such that should she switch it down the programme goes back to 'normal' after a few hours. Mother's programmer has 7 settings a day. So about every 2 hours. See the link:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/honeywell-cm901-room-thermostat/39124

There are several models available. I just got the 24 hour one as weekend programming is not necessary. Mother is unable to work it out so it is working well.

I got utterly fed up of doing 5 hours round trips when she complained the central heating was not working to find she had turned the heating down to 15C or off. Hence the above. If push comes to shove and she learns how to fiddle with this model I am putting a transparent. lockable box over a suggested above.

If there is fiddling of the actual boiler one suggestion on this site was to hide it behind kitchen cupboard doors. On the basis - out of sight, out of mind.

Good luck.
Sounds like the one moms got seven settings a day and an up and down but she loves preening the re set one or the settings one!!

Princess t

Mar 15, 2016
Mom hasn't got internet so nest or hive no good. Good idea to fit a dummy thermostats.that would have here!!!! Hubby thought about putting a clear plastic cover over it and screwing it to wall so she can't get to setting buttons......still wZiting for that to happen!!!