Shngles vaccination

oilovlam

Aug 2, 2015
South East
Is it worth having the Shingles Vaccination?

Mum has alzheimers and I don't know if it is worth putting her through an injection unless there is some real benefit. She has the Flu jab every year. Is there much risk of getting shingles? Does anyone have any experience of the shingles vaccination....good or bad?

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
The shingles rash can be very painful and can last for weeks, sometimes causing on going problems. I have two friends who have suffered shingles and neither had a good experience, one is left with quite severe nerve pain.

I had my shingles jab at the same time as my flu jab, takes a second.

mot

May 4, 2016
USA
I think it is worth the injection!!! Mom gets the flu, shingles and pneumonia.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
As far as I am aware, the Pneumonia and Shingles jabs are only done once and not annually as is the 'flu jab.
I had the Pneumonia one some years ago and would definitely have the Shingles one if it was offered. My BIL died last April having never recovered from the residual effects of a bad attack of Shingles a couple of years before. It is a very painful condition.
I believe it is only offered to people of certain ages.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Definitely get the shingles and pneumonia jab - once only. The flu jab I am currently a bit iffy about.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"Over 70 is the age shingles jab is offered."

It's slightly more complicated

You are eligible for the shingles vaccine if you were aged 70 or 78 years old on 1 September 2016.
In addition, anyone who was eligible for immunisation in the previous three years of the programme but missed out on their shingles vaccination remains eligible until their 80th birthday. This includes:
people aged 71, 72 and 73 on 1 September 2016
people aged 79 on 1 September 2016
The shingles vaccine is not available on the NHS if you are aged 80 or over.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vaccinations/Pages/shingles-vaccination.aspx

NHS info on cmpliations of shingles
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Shingles/Pages/Complications.aspx

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I got the shingles vaccine a couple of years ago. My husband has had shingles and it was very painful for weeks, and he got off easily. So I definitely think vaccines are worth it.

I have an aunt who doesn't believe in vaccines. She didn't get the flu vaccine a few years ago, got the flu and was sicker than a dog for a full 2 weeks.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I think to get shingles, one has to have chickenpox earlier in life. As I've never had chickenpox, I won't bother.
However, I've had the pneumonia jab, and I always have the flu jab when I can. A few years ago OH and I got flu ( I caught it from him) and it was two months before either of us was fully fit, not going to risk that again!).
I don't think it's too big a deal for most people with dementia.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Both John and myself had shingles last year and it was extremely painful. GP has offered us the shingle injection despite our age. I am 54 and John is 67 . I would certainly have the shingle vaccination .

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
At 49 and having what was considered a "mild" case of shingles this year, I will certainly be looking at the vaccine.
It is not free here in New Zealand, and costs about GBP100.

My husband, after having chemotherapy, had to have a blood tests for the chicken pox virus as his parents passed away years ago and didn't know if he had had it or not.
It was positive, but took me getting shingles to realise it would be best for him to have the vaccine too. He already has a compromised immune system.

My Mum with Alzheimers cannot have the shingles vaccine due to having Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia.

oilovlam

Aug 2, 2015
South East
Thanks for the response. We did get a letter from the GP surgery offering mum the vaccination on account of her age...she meets the narrow age range for candidates.

I will arrange for the injection as soon as I can.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
"Over 70 is the age shingles jab is offered."

It's slightly more complicated

You are eligible for the shingles vaccine if you were aged 70 or 78 years old on 1 September 2016.
In addition, anyone who was eligible for immunisation in the previous three years of the programme but missed out on their shingles vaccination remains eligible until their 80th birthday. This includes:
people aged 71, 72 and 73 on 1 September 2016
people aged 79 on 1 September 2016
The shingles vaccine is not available on the NHS if you are aged 80 or over.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vaccinations/Pages/shingles-vaccination.aspx

NHS info on cmpliations of shingles
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Shingles/Pages/Complications.aspx

I didn't think it was available for everyone over 70 or I would have had it by now. Unfortunately, I've somehow never fallen into the correct age group! Not too long to wait now though unless it hits me sooner!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
They alter the date in September each year.
You should get an invite the first time you become eligible.

di65

Feb 28, 2013
new zealand
It is not free here in New Zealand, and costs about GBP100.

Hi Linbrusco

after a nasty bout of shingles last year I had a 'jab', and as you say it isn't free here in NZ. I paid NZ$123, which equates currently to 71.92 British Pounds. A small price to pay to not go that excruciating pain again. I still haven't regained my energy levels :(.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
I had shingles in my 30s, very mildly. Apparently if it comes back the doctor said it will always be along the same nerve (near the cleavage!!). I thought it was an allergic reaction but it did feel like it was burning. I would get a vaccination if I could but I've got a long time to wait! I've heard too many stories from others about how painful it was for them.

cobden28

Jan 31, 2012
I think to get shingles, one has to have chickenpox earlier in life. As I've never had chickenpox, I won't bother.
However, I've had the pneumonia jab, and I always have the flu jab when I can. A few years ago OH and I got flu ( I caught it from him) and it was two months before either of us was fully fit, not going to risk that again!).
I don't think it's too big a deal for most people with dementia.

If you've never had chickenpox, then if you do catch the virus it can be very nasty indeed if you get it in later life :eek: . I had chickenpox as a young child so I was OK and my daughter went down with it when she was aged three, having caught it from another child at her nursery - but my ex-husband, then in his early 40's HADN'T had chickenpox as a child and he had to spend a week in hospital in the isolation ward....he was covered in itchy red spots all over and had to have calamine lotion slathered all over.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
:eek::eek: How frightening for you both cobden28. It isn't always severe for adults. I was 44 when I caught chicken pox. Fortunately I only felt ill for about 3 days but was off work for the contagious period. My boss told everyone it was impossible for adults to get chicken pox and I was having a secret holiday. :mad: I couldn't go out of the house while I was contagious so it wasn't much of a 'holiday'. :rolleyes:

When I was young if there was one of the standard childhood diseases going round we were sent off to play with the child in order to catch it! The thinking was that the younger you were, the milder it would be. My brothers both got chicken pox but it failed to take with me, despite being on calamine anointing duties for a fortnight.

Last edited: