91 year old Mum Bedblocking - stuck in hospital.

cemeterybird

Jan 9, 2017
Hi, I am a newbie here. Have been reading up, trying to understand the system and where to go from here. Will try to be brief...

Mum was diagnosed with Vascular Demenia at 88 yrs old and we have slowly gone from one visit per day to two per day. My Mum still lives independently in a High Rise Block for over 50's. I share the caring with my sister but we are not spring chickens, both in our mid 60's, not in the best of health ourselves and with other family commitments.

Things stepped up last summer when mum started wandering. She would look outside at the lovely weather and decide she was going out for the evening! That was when we stepped up our visits to twice a day. My sister doesn't drive and is a 10 minute uphill walk away (she has emphysema and arthritis in her feet and hands). She tends to deal with mums emotional needs and help around the home. I tend to deal with more practical things, financial, shopping, running her around to different appointments, daycare, Singing for the Brain etc. We both make sure that she was eating ok during our visits.

It all came to a head a week before Christmas when Mums legs just seemed to pack up. She had already had a fall when her legs wouldn't support her getting out of bed. Thankfully, no bones broken but now she has extreme problems just getting out of a chair or off the loo. When my sister couldn't lift her, we had to step back, hold our hands up and say Whoa.... we cannot cope now, she needs professional help. We rang 111 who sent Paramedics, who got an ambulance and sent her to hospital.

....and that is where she still is, more than 3 weeks later, in general good health but still unsteady on her legs. Bless her, she is so confused about where she is and why. She has started hallucinating, thinking she is at school, thinking it is raining over her etc. She is a calm and placid lady who, so far, has had no aggressive outbreaks but we are now stuck in this bedblocking scenario where she needs to be discharged but without some sort of care package in place, nothing can be done.

We fought for over two years to get a social worker from the Council but she has been no help at all, always off sick and having to 'prioritise her workload'. She hasn't even completed Mums assessment and has now passed the buck, saying we should speak to the hospital Social Work team for help.... but no doubt they will have 'prioritise their workload' too :(

I wonder if, because we are not in the position to pay Privately for help, that we are being put at the bottom of the pile. Any advice on where to go or what to do next would be helpful. It didn't help, having the Christmas/New Year holidays in the middle of all this but feel now we just have to get things moving!!

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Hi
Talk to the hospital team, tell them the true home situation, they should be able to get things moving, after all it's their job to clear beds!
You may have to accept a place in a care home, some distance away, but can get on a waiting list for one closer.

Bod

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi and welcome to Talking Point.

You are in a similar position to the one we found ourselves in in September - mum still living at home, sister and I seeing to her needs with the help of carers coming in once a day until mum had a fall, couldn't weight bear and ended up in hospital via A&E.

Firstly as mum is in hospital it will be the hospital SW who will now be responsible for coordinating her future care. Has mum been assessed as medically fit for discharge? If so there should be a procedure in place for assessing mum's future care plan. There is some useful information in this factsheet https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=118 (scroll down to the part on Hospital Discharge) and get onto the hospital SW to get a discharge plan sorted.

The SW will be being put under pressure by the hospital to arrange for mum's discharge if she is medically fit, but you must ensure that a proper care plan is in case before you agree to anything, whether that be a suitable care home or mum going home with an increased care package. You and your sister are not legally obliged to provide care for mum, and it sounds as though mum's needs are greater than you can provide in any event.

I doubt very much that the fact that mum will be funded is putting you at the bottom of the list - in fact those who are self funding usually complain that they are being left to sort things without help.

My mum was in hospital for 10 weeks (probably bed blocking for at least 8) until we were able to find the right care home for her. She is now in a lovely home where she is receiving excellent care. Do hang in there for the right future care for mum.

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Hiya

Agree the hospital SW should be helping. That said, please do your own homework to identify your Mum's state and care needs. Hospital SWs may understate needs.

Would strongly recommend that you ask for a copy of the hospital's Nursing Needs Assessment of your Mum. Because the Nursing Needs Assessment (NNA) outlines the care your Mum needs while in hospital it's usually fairly frank about the risk factors, what support she actually needs and so on. My own Mum's NNA pointed out in writing she was totally unpredictable, had fallen twice on the ward within a fortnight and needed the help of two nurses / carers to move her. The hospital Ward Manager / Charge Nurse is the person to ask for this document.

You also need to ask your Mum's Consultant or the doctor team for their views on your Mum's medical state and future care needs.

Your Mum may need a nursing home (not a care home) if she's a very high falls risk. Good luck!

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Is there a patient advocacy service at your mum's hospital. The local care support centre provides one for all the hospitals here. If not, there's always AgeUK.
When we had that problem a few years ago the lady who advised me was a very helpful advocate in sorting out hospital Social Work and in ensuring I was involved in my partner's discharge meeting.

Good luck cemeterybrd.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I agree with all the above except that I would not accept anything too far away on the grounds of you and your sisters health - you need to be reasonably close to monitor that she is getting what she needs once in a care home.
The other thing I would do is to check any homes offered on the care quality commission website http://www.cqc.org.uk/content/inspection-reports and don't accept anything that is less than 'good' in all 5 categories of the report. Worth having a look to see if there is one in your area that you like the look of and sticking out for the next bed - you'd be surprised how quickly they can help when you are bed blocking! SW's tend to put people into the not so good homes if they don't know what they are looking for.

This checklist is also really useful for when you visit to have a look (and don't book at appointment - turn up unannounced and try to speak to a couple of residents and even better one or two relatives

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/brandpartne...re and care homes/care home checklist.il5.pdf if you don't have a printer or a never ending supply of printer ink phone age uk helpline on 0800 169 2081 and ask them to send you a printed copy of the care home checklist - they will be happy to do so.

hope this helps

velocity

Feb 18, 2013
North Notts
91 year old Mum Bedblocking - stuck in hospital

I just wanted to say, I personally do not like the term Bedblocking. We should NOT be made to feel uncomfortable if our loved ones are in hospital, nobody stays in hospital unless they need to, even if one of the reasons is waiting to go elsewhere.
Don't worry you cant do anything but wait for the outcome I hope all goes well for you xx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
orange77