how do you make them put on the right clothing?

caqqufa

Jun 4, 2016
It's freezing cold but he will not put on any warm clothing. If I suggest it he says I have no right to give orders.

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Dad's room is boiling hot. He doesn't like jumpers or cardigans because he can' t find the arm holes. Some days I help him put them on but other days he won't let me. They are either too thick, too thin, arm holes not big enough, too baggy, etc etc. Yesterday I bought another 4 variations on the theme, ----fingers crossed something is a hit. At least the sales are on now.

technotronic

Jun 14, 2014
I let my wife wear what she want to, at one time she would put 4 layers on top but that's now stopped thank god.
Just keep the heating on n house warm n they'll be ok, making them do things they don't want to do just adds pressure n frustration on them n can cause outbursts of anger. Always take easy way if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Can you have an easy lightweight shawl or two lying around. My temperature control is up the creek totally and coupled with periods of not being able to think or register anything other than I am too hot or too cold it is easier just to pull something light around my shoulders or legs because I may need to throw it off after 5 minutes, the struggle of putting anything on then having to take it off is too much. I hope you find a solution that works:)

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
At the moment mum is allowing me to pick and help her dress, but there was a time when I could not get her to put anything on that I thought appropriate, only happy to put on her coat in the house and so I let her, at least I knew she was warm. This summer I bought at lot of thermal underwear and whatever she wears on top of these is a bonus. Have you thought about buying a halogen heater - don't understand the science, but I think they are supposed to warm the core of the body rather than the whole room, when keeping her warm in the house I used one. These days her hands tend to get cold so I let her wear gloves and of course we have an open fire and she loves standing in front of this, rubbing her hands together and warming them up.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
The body temperature can go a bit haywire when dementia is involved but I would be inclined to let your husband wear what pleases him. How hot or cold a person feels varies and there is no 'them' where dementia is concerned any more than when it is not. Everyone is an individual and is different.