Please help interpreting share price

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Trying to interpret share price and keep things simple.

If you know how to look these things up could someone please tell me the value of

1 Lloyds Bank Share

and the value of

1 Share in SSE

and

1 share in National Grid

I'm getting befuddled with things on the internet.

Thanks

Last edited:

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
I expect someone more knowledgeable will come along in a moment, but I would say it depends on what you want to do with this value. If you own shares then you can check the current price with e.g. your broker or a high street bank. The value may fluctuate throughout the day, it is not a fixed thing, it depends on whether the stock exchange is open and whether these shares are being traded. If you buy or sell shares there is commission and (potentially) tax to pay, so you won't get the full market value of those shares when you sell and you will have extra to pay on top if you buy.

While you own them, the value of the shares as an asset is what it is on any given day. As at 4.26pm today the values are:
1 Lloyds Bank share is 62.81p Sterling.
1 SSE share is 1562.00p Sterling.
1 National Grid share is 949.5p Sterling.

OH says these are 'spot prices' i.e. prices current only at a specific time, and may change again today, but probably not by much. OH uses a phone App for an android phone from the Google Playstore called 'My Stocks Portfolio'. He loads the details of specific shares into the App and can then track their value, and read market news about them.

Last edited:

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Hi Katrine

Many thanks - that is really helpful. At the moment I am just trying to roughly estimate value of shares held by Dad.

I presume during any probate process shares would be sold and realised rather than passed on as in property?

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I think you can just change the ownership unless all his assets have to be realised. I know, years ago, I had my mothers shares, the name was changed, that all. Each company has a department that keeps the share registers up to date and deals with name changes etc. Depending on the will, it might be useful to keep the shares, unless you need the cash!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"I presume during any probate process shares would be sold and realised rather than passed on as in property?"

That depends on the executor(s).
Given the value of the shares I would sell them now, if you are executor it reduces the hassle and if it is a professional it reduces the cost.

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
I am pleased to say Dad is still alive and kicking, but there will be no will and no named Exor unless brother has been nominated as he is older than me.

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
if your dad's shares are in the form of certificates it would be better to transfer them to a nominee account (usually free to transfer) as it is much cheaper to buy and sell this way. Some brokers have cheap dealing days approx. once a month. It's also easier if your dad needs to do a tax return.