My dad Brian

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
You are all so kind, nearly Christmas!!! :D:D

Just got back from nursing home, much much better today, I even got a thumbs up from him, he wanted to hold my hand several times, and tried to talk, it's only a whisper as he is so weak, but he was talking :D

He engaged with me well today, so so pleased! my brother is with him now, so I left so they could have some time alone too.

His chest is definitely on the decline again, major phlegm build up in his lungs going on, each time I go down it's getting worse, the problem now is he cannot clear it, he is very very weak and really just does not have the strength to cough it up. I envisage his old friend pneumonia is creeping back again...........

He really does yo yo each day, up and down so much, I keep telling myself he's going to be ok for a while, then he takes a nose dive like yesterday, but today much better again.

He shakes so much with weakness bless him :( but he is a tough old sausage, can't believe he is still going!! each day is another day I get to hold his hand :D:D

My heart goes out to all of you that are going through this, its very tough indeed, and I thank every one of you that takes the time to give me such lovely comments, it means sooo much to me, this place is my rock xxx

Kellyroxanne

Jul 3, 2016
God bless u angie, been reading your posts. What a lovely, kind, caring daughter you are. I really feel for u, big hugs. I work with people with dementia and their family members so see how hard on a daily basis it is for u all. U should be so proud of urself as u clearly have and still are, doing ur best for dad and ur Mam last year too x X X happy Xmas to u n dad x X X

You are all so kind, nearly Christmas!!! :D:D

Just got back from nursing home, much much better today, I even got a thumbs up from him, he wanted to hold my hand several times, and tried to talk, it's only a whisper as he is so weak, but he was talking :D

He engaged with me well today, so so pleased! my brother is with him now, so I left so they could have some time alone too.

His chest is definitely on the decline again, major phlegm build up in his lungs going on, each time I go down it's getting worse, the problem now is he cannot clear it, he is very very weak and really just does not have the strength to cough it up. I envisage his old friend pneumonia is creeping back again...........

He really does yo yo each day, up and down so much, I keep telling myself he's going to be ok for a while, then he takes a nose dive like yesterday, but today much better again.

He shakes so much with weakness bless him :( but he is a tough old sausage, can't believe he is still going!! each day is another day I get to hold his hand :D:D

My heart goes out to all of you that are going through this, its very tough indeed, and I thank every one of you that takes the time to give me such lovely comments, it means sooo much to me, this place is my rock xxx

MollyD

Mar 27, 2016
Ireland
Warm hugs, Angie. So pleased you had a connection with your dad today, so sad you're going through all this though.

Hugs and warm wishes to you and that you get to hold your dad's hand again.

Night. X

Em and M

Dec 24, 2016
How full on Angie

Hi Everyone :)

I have been on this forum for about 1.5 years now, my mum died last year and as a result of this (together 59 years) my dad developed Alzheimers, he was formally diagnosed in January this year. I have a sneaky suspicion it was before this time, however I was not that involved with his life up until last year.

I have admiration for all the people of here that have been doing this for years, and I am shocked how this terrible illness takes hold of someone.

My dad has been through some tough hurdles since mum died, he lost this driving license in Dec 2015 and cannot accept this, its a daily battle :(.

I have learnt as I have gone along how he is treated by other people, he is pretty argumentative, and wont be told what to do, convinced he is perfectly fine, convinced he can drive, and "will" be buying another car.

I got my dad moved into Somerset in August last year to give him support. I feel sorry for him as he has lost everything, his wife, his life, his lovely home in Devon by the sea side, and now he just exists...... I dont know how long he will carry on.

He is a lot worse that people realise, he was tested at the memory clinic in Jan this year and he scored 39 out of 100 and he has severe alzheimers.

He tells everyone he is fine..... but he is not fine at all...... on the outside they think he is ok..... he is not ok......:confused:

He is not washing, or washing his hair, he survives by eating out all the time, he has got into all sorts of messes and gets barred from shops, cafes etc all the time as he argues with people as he thinks he is fine.......

I am like his mop up crew, I ring around these places and advise them of his illness, he does not know any of this, as he thinks he's fine...

I now have his house Manager advising me that there have been complaints because he is too touchy feely (he's a tactile person) and likes to tap your shoulder, arm etc when he says hello..... but this makes residents uncomfortable, however he thinks he fine....everyone else is mad and not him :)

I have power of attorney for his finances (forced the issue last year as he bought 5 cars in a matter of weeks and lost 17,000 pounds in the process) Garage kept selling him cars every two weeks..... then he lost his license last dec but did not understand the DVLA letter and carried on driving for 3 weeks as he did not understand, until he handed this letter to the garage to buy another car :(

I will use this post to do updates and it will help me, and I thank you all for everything that you write on this forum as it has helped me sooo much!!!

I worry about the future, I worry about how he is treated by others, I worry about how he is perceived by others..... my dad is an ex soldier, ex prison officer and has had quite a past, and he tells everyone about his past (where as before this was private) and everyone does not believe him and thinks he is barking mad...... he still wears his prison officer badge on his shirts (poor him) as he is clinging on to any dignity he has left..... but everyone thinks he is a bad person for this, and that he is nuts! its makes me so defensive......

He tells everyone about his money, his past etc, they all think he is mad, I find it so frustrating as everything he tells them is true, and it upsets me that he is just overlooked as he comes across so bad to people now. I give him guidance all the time, but he tells me he is fine, and its everyone else that is mad, liars, bunch of idiots etc :eek:

He has good days and bad days, his long term memory is going, his short term memory is all over the place, some stuff he remembers well, other stuff is gone in seconds.....

It has helped me get this off my chest, its been so tough, I loved my mum so much and miss her so much.. I am left with the remnants of my dad now. What a cruel disease.

He was also a driving instructor, so losing the car was the last resort for him, and he cannot accept this. I took him to a GP 3 weeks ago, so they could explain to him again! but he wont accept this at all and its a daily argument.

I am his kicking post, he argues with me all the time, I have tried everything and nothing works, have denied, agreed, told him to do it, talk to police etc, nothing works, he wont let it go!

I managed to wash his hair last week, my first step to hygiene with him as he said he is fine!! it was 15 months since it was washed!! I bought the no water shampoo.

I have now managed to get him to agree with me washing his clothes at last!

His bed had no sheet on the mattress, he could not make the bed, change the sheets and would not let me help... I have learnt over the last 15 months now to just do it, I don't ask anymore I tell him it will be done! so bed is now sorted, clothes getting sorted, hair sorted, but he smells sooo bad, I got him some deodrant, wipes etc. But going to buy more, body wipes etc as he is not washing (he is fine he tells me) but he is not.

His occupational health therapist said the only way he is going to go is be sectioned as he wont accept help at all, I can handle him as I am his daughter and can just do it...

I have found so far that knowing which way to turn, what to do, my head spins with what next, whats happened now. He gets the police called to him, he has been reported a few times for his aggression and arguing. He thinks its everyone else, not him, he is fine.

sorry to get some of this off my chest... and thanks to any of you if you read this post, or comment, it would be much appreciated.

Angie

Hi Angie,
your story sounds incredibly stressful and frustrating. I am so impressed by your efforts - you are going to such great lengths to protect and care for your dad. It is a cruel twist of life that he has no insight into his behavior and how he is perceived - but in a way that is a good thing! Most people would recognize that he is not of sound mind and make allowances for this, you can't control things that - well - you have no control over! Dont be hard on yourself - you are doing a great job

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
Hi everyone hope your all well :)

Well he is still here, he managed to get past his deadline of Tuesday :D he is a tough old sausage !

2 days ago he even drank from the beaker himself which I was gob smacked about, I had convinced myself he was goi6to keep going :D

Went down today and not so good, walked in and he looked like **** to say the least :(

Would not wake up, open his eyes etc, his top lip is now purple, his hands continue to go more purple and are like blocks of ice, his eyes were very sunken in his sockets and his ears are turning purple, I lifted up his arms and his elbows have also gone purple.

He was clinnging onto the bed sheet with a clenched fist. He knew I was there and I prized his hand off the sheets and held his hand, wow such a strong grip today.

He held on so tight.......

After 30 minutes I went and seen the nurse, we had a chat, she said his body is now shutting down, his urine output is minimal and his blood is pooling in his body areas.

That was a smack in the reality face for me, she said which funeral director was I using, and asked me loads of these questions, I said I had not done nothing yet as thought he may be around a while longer, she said we are talking days now, not weeks, she said he is very close now..... lump in throat welling up..... :(

So I went to the crematorium where my mum was buried last year and booked and paid for his headstone and urn.

Then went to funeral directors and completed a pre paid plan funeral plan on the age U.K. Website, the funeral director helped me to sort out, so that's now all paid for.

I just need to pay for his flowers etc when the time comes, which I will whip up and pay for when he goes, then I will ring his bank to freeze his accounts.

It's strange even though I knew he was going to die when he got the first bout of pneumonia in September, I never thought would be this quick :eek:

Today was a real smack in my stomach he looked terrible, so thin, weak, so sad .....

I even felt better yesterday as he seemed better, so am back to stress city again, I wish he would go now, poor fellow is a mess. It's his birthday New Year's Eve, the nurse said he may be hanging on for that, as he should of been gone by now.

Pretty soon my dad Brian will be reunited with his wife Jessie My mum bless her. They will be buried together x its the best I can do for him now......

Jbob

Apr 20, 2016
Hi everyone hope your all well :)

Well he is still here, he managed to get past his deadline of Tuesday :D he is a tough old sausage !

2 days ago he even drank from the beaker himself which I was gob smacked about, I had convinced myself he was goi6to keep going :D

Went down today and not so good, walked in and he looked like **** to say the least :(

Would not wake up, open his eyes etc, his top lip is now purple, his hands continue to go more purple and are like blocks of ice, his eyes were very sunken in his sockets and his ears are turning purple, I lifted up his arms and his elbows have also gone purple.

He was clinnging onto the bed sheet with a clenched fist. He knew I was there and I prized his hand off the sheets and held his hand, wow such a strong grip today.

He held on so tight.......

After 30 minutes I went and seen the nurse, we had a chat, she said his body is now shutting down, his urine output is minimal and his blood is pooling in his body areas.

That was a smack in the reality face for me, she said which funeral director was I using, and asked me loads of these questions, I said I had not done nothing yet as thought he may be around a while longer, she said we are talking days now, not weeks, she said he is very close now..... lump in throat welling up..... :(

So I went to the crematorium where my mum was buried last year and booked and paid for his headstone and urn.

Then went to funeral directors and completed a pre paid plan funeral plan on the age U.K. Website, the funeral director helped me to sort out, so that's now all paid for.

I just need to pay for his flowers etc when the time comes, which I will whip up and pay for when he goes, then I will ring his bank to freeze his accounts.

It's strange even though I knew he was going to die when he got the first bout of pneumonia in September, I never thought would be this quick :eek:

Today was a real smack in my stomach he looked terrible, so thin, weak, so sad .....

I even felt better yesterday as he seemed better, so am back to stress city again, I wish he would go now, poor fellow is a mess. It's his birthday New Year's Eve, the nurse said he may be hanging on for that, as he should of been gone by now.

Pretty soon my dad Brian will be reunited with his wife Jessie My mum bless her. They will be buried together x its the best I can do for him now......

Oh Angie,
You are so strong keeping everything together. It must be so hard for you sorting out arrangements. I hope your Dad is comfortable and at peace soon. I can't believe how quickly he has declined but alzheimer's is a cruel disease. My thoughts are with you when the time comes. Take care thinking of you both x

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
It's so hard Angie, having to sort out arrangements. I remember having to go shopping for something suitable for wearing to my husband's funeral a few days before he died. It was during the Summer, and so difficult to find anything suitable, but finally a lovely assistant in Next got me a whole outfit together. I hope you have someone to support you through this, apart from us. We will all be here, hugs readily available any time. xx

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Oh, Angie, I'm so sorry. It is horrible having to sort arrangements but you sound as though you're doing what needs to be done, and doing it well. I appreciate you may not feel as though you're coping, though. You do what you need to do, to take care of yourself.

Waiting is terrible. Nothing about this is easy and we're never ready, even when we know what's coming.

I hope they can keep your dad pain free and as comfortable as possible. We're all here, holding your hand. You know where to find us.

Sending much love and as many virtual (((((hugs))))) as you can stand,

Amy

SadScot

Jun 28, 2016
I am so very sorry. It is an awful, awful time to go through. Sending love and thinking of you at this very difficult time x

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
You must be heartbroken having to go through this Angie. You are being so brave and doing so well. Your Dad would be so proud of you. May your Dad pass in peace.

Thinking of you.

XXX

Earthgirl72

Feb 2, 2016
So very sorry to read this Angie. You're doing amazingly, and being so strong and brave. Sending you love and strength xx