But oh those lonely nights .........

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
I'm so glad you have your granddaughter to help you, Scarlett, but very sorry that you and Lyn both found Christmas even more difficult this year. Lyn, to have coped with what life has thrown at you over the last years with Pete's illness and death you must have an incredibly strong backbone it's taken some knocks but that strength is still there. Perhaps you will find a new channel for it in 2017. Big hugs for you both. xxxx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
. Perhaps you will find a new channel for it in 2017. Big hugs for you both. xxxx

That's exactly right - and that's what I need too, I think. A new channel. I know the any-day-now to arrive grandson will be something - and my mum is taking increasing amounts of time. But I seem to be at that place where my friends (those I have left!) are all still busy with their families this time of year especially. I get cards from them with "must get together over Christmas" - but I know we won't. So, I'm mulling over things - I need to do something to get involved with other people.

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
I need to do something to get involved with other people.

Some kind of charity work? Apologies if you are already involved in some kind of voluntary work Lady A - you seem to have a number of talents.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Some kind of charity work? Apologies if you are already involved in some kind of voluntary work Lady A - you seem to have a number of talents.
No, I'm not. I'm not involved in anything - I couldn't settle to anything. And I've had difficulty in general in getting myself away from my bolt-hole of home! I did SUCH a good job making a comforting sanctuary for myself when William went to the nursing home - it's a bit too much so, and I often don't even want to go to the garden! [emoji50]

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Lyn, did your Christmas Day plans work out? I'm determined not to be in the same position next Christmas Day, but all of my friends are invited to their families, so I thought perhaps I could find somewhere that hosted a Christmas Lunch that lonely saddos, like me, could go to, with complete strangers, who know nothing about me, except that, like them, I'm alone.

A friend said that her Aunt went to one in Downham Market, which I believe is in Suffolk or Norfolk, but I thought there must be something nearer. I don't mean a freebie, but where you pay in advance, and nobody knows anything about you, except you're on your own. Well I've got 11 months to find out. ;)

Now here's an odd story. I went to have brunch with a friend at Lakeside today, and when I went out to the car, it was thick with ice. I started scraping away, and as I'd started the car, I didn't want to turn it off and go in for the de-icer, which I'd left in the hall, when suddenly A Man appeared from nowhere, and said "would this help?".

He started spraying the windscreen, and instead of clear, like my de-icer, it was yellow, but with him spraying and me scraping, it was doing the job, and I moved round to do the side windows, and he said "oh it's nearly all gone" and he unscrewed the bottle, and tipped the remaining contents on the windscreen.

I said "that's so kind of you", and turned round ............................. and he'd disappeared. :confused: Literally. No sign of him in the road, in either direction, I don't know if he'd been in a car, and stopped it, and walked back, or what. :eek: When I told my friend, she said that he was obviously my Angel, like Clarence, in It's A Wonderful Life, and would appear at regular intervals, and would probably cook me a delicious dinner next Christmas, and should she buy a hat!!!

I must admit, it was so odd, that when he just disappeared, I pondered if I'd actually imagined it, but the yellow slush at the sides of the windscreen soon stopped me thinking I was going barmy. I hastened to add he was 55-60 ish, and wearing a dark anorak, not dressed in white with a halo! :D

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
so I thought perhaps I could find somewhere that hosted a Christmas Lunch that lonely saddos, like me, could go to, with complete strangers, who know nothing about me, except that, like them, I'm alone.

Sometimes churches host Christmas lunch. Suggest you check out the churches in your area - if that would be an acceptable option for 2017. Usually, there isn't a charge but they suggest you make a donation.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hopefully, my local airport will be doing flights between here and London again by then, Scarlett. Invite cordially extended!

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I have an operation date. :eek: Letter arrived this morning, it's Wednesday 11th Jan, at midday. I went to see a neighbour to ask if I could bring Billy into her, and I'm going to take him in with basket and food, that morning, and hopefully I'll be back by late afternoon.

I have to confirm the appointment on Tuesday, but it reads as if it is local anaesthetic, and so I can just get a taxi home. I can check that when I phone. I'm supposed to be singing in a concert the next day, but as so many people I know have had appointments cancelled at the last minute, I'm not going to excuse myself until I've actually had the op.

Then I shall stay indoors, with a bag over my head, until I can face the world. :(

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Better to get it done and dusted as soon as possible Scarlett Fingers crossed it won`t be cancelled and is successful.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Fingers AND toes crossed. Tbh, over here, it would be more or less assumed that it would be cancelled at the last minute, at this stage!

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
I do hope they don't mess you around by cancelling at the last moment, it's so cruel when you're psyched up to have the procedure and this is one you definitely want over and done with. Everything crossed for you. xxxxx

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
I have an operation date. :eek: Letter arrived this morning, it's Wednesday 11th Jan, at midday. I went to see a neighbour to ask if I could bring Billy into her, and I'm going to take him in with basket and food, that morning, and hopefully I'll be back by late afternoon.

I have to confirm the appointment on Tuesday, but it reads as if it is local anaesthetic, and so I can just get a taxi home. I can check that when I phone. I'm supposed to be singing in a concert the next day, but as so many people I know have had appointments cancelled at the last minute, I'm not going to excuse myself until I've actually had the op.

Then I shall stay indoors, with a bag over my head, until I can face the world. :(

Good news Scarlett. I hope everything goes to plan. Good luck. M xxx :)

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Thank you for all your good wishes. Continued to occupy my time, as per my previously prepared List Of Things To Do. Every hour, I carried out a task, which took about 15 minutes. In between, I watched The Beatles Anthology, which my son sent me.

There are 12 discs, each lasting about an hour, and so interesting, and I've watched 4 now. I also had 2 phone calls, from friends, each lasting over an hour, so I've had a full day, and I reckon I could achieve an A+ from cleaning experts!

I was horrified both at the sheer volume of dust above my lounge cabinets, and the available space in the drawers, once I'd thrown all the unnecessary rubbish out. :eek: I now have all cards and leaflets from tradesmen, in a large envelope, suitably marked. :)

I love making lists, and the sheer sense of achievement when you can cross something out. :) I know - I'm a saddo. :(

disi

Aug 4, 2014
Ex pat living in Sweden
I have only just caught up, so pleased you have your hospital date, fingers crossed no cancelations. As Verity has said I also could do with some help in the house. Big hug, Diana xx