Care advice for elderly mother

Jon c

Dec 28, 2016
Hi

I am a new member who has never used a forum before! I have an elderly mother who both myself and my three other siblings suspect is suffering from dementia. We took her to her Gp about three months ago and was diagnosed as drepression. Sadly she has detioriated further. She gets very easily confused repeatly asks what day it is., conversation is very vague and we are starting to experience toilet accidents. There are host of other signs / symtoms which are all chactertistic of Alzheimer's . Her sister and mother were both suffers and my mum seems to be presenting similar behaviour.

We are hoping to get her back to the Gp so we can get her referred and hopefully diagniosed but am unsure what the process is or the best way of going to get her the appropriate care. Is there someone or organisation who can advise us on what care options are available.?We are considering residential care in the Cambs area as this is nearer for us to. Visit than her current home in Woodbridge in Suffolk. We are however concerned this will take her away from friends. Equally leaving her in her own home without support is not an option and feel getting my mother to agree to care at home is proving very probmatic . Any help advice would be very welcome. Thankyou

Emac

Mar 2, 2013
I am not an expert but I think the key to accessing services is to have the diagnosis which needs a referral from her GP. Someone would be best to go with her to describe the behaviours and to insist on a referral for further tests. Regarding care, you don't say if she would be able to pay for her own care or not? If she can you need to get on the internet and do some research into services in her/your area. Social Services may also have a list, and may also be able to tell you if the diagnosis is needed to have her needs assessed by social work. Hopefully someone who is in your area will read your post and be able to give more advice.