Standing but head/upper body hanging over and 'puffing'y

Honeybee10

Dec 27, 2016
My dad is 84 with Alzheimer's and seems to have deteriorated markedly in the last couple of weeks. He's suddenly lost appetite and keeps standing semi bent over and kind of 'puffing'. He lives alone with a daily care visit. I took him to the go last week thinking he may have a urine infection but it was all clear and no other physical problems were evident. Is this hanging over position common, and the puffing? He also seems to have developed a fixation that drinking anything will make him pee and I am worried he's getting dehydrated . I am sure today he didn't know who I was. This is a quite sudden drop in his condition - is this common?

Honeybee10

Dec 27, 2016
Perhaps the dehydration is affecting him? This can be quite serious. Relatedly, constipation can cause cognitive impacts similar to a UTI.

Thanks Celia. To be honest I think it's got to the point where he cannot continue on his own at home — he denies there is anything wrong with him even now but forgetting to even eat seems pretty bad to me and when I took him home from the GP the other day, he didn't recognise it as home. Am seeing my brother later today to discuss the next move. I just wondered if this weird stooping over stance was a common occurrence. I didn't know constipation could have similar impacts to a UTI so that's useful knowledge.

Wozzie

Jul 12, 2016
Cheshire
Jane, I just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you all, this is such a devastating disease for everyone involved
Take care
Anne x