My nana

Meganl1

Dec 21, 2016
Hi, I'm new to this so not sure if I'm doing it right lol. I have a nana who turned 80 yesterday bless her. She has Alzheimer's..she got diagnosed over a year a go now..not too long after losing my grandad.
Anyway, things are becoming increasingly difficult. She still lives alone..she isn't washing, showering etc. She thinks and says she is but she isn't. She wears the same clothes all the time. She constantly repeats herself and says the same things over and over. She had a fall the other day. Just recently got social workers involved. I was just curious to know what stage she's at and how much worse it gets.
Megan x

Trini

Dec 7, 2015
Not washing

Hi Cat
My MIL now 80 with VD was at this stage just over a year ago. At that stage she was not eating properly either (would just forget and then eat junk) and was forgetting to take medication. Then she started falling over on a regular basis and that was when we had to get carers going in. That was a year ago. Today she is still at home but with 24 hour live in care as she is totally incapable of doing anything for herself now and can no longer walk. She is still eating and speaks the occasional word but that's it. Her decline has been rapid and dramatic. Obviously everyone is different and there is no way of knowing what path the disease will take. VD is different to Alzheimers. To be honest I am surprised she is still with us. Her much loved dog recently had to be put down but she is oblivious.
Good luck with it all. It is stressful and exhausting. People who have not experienced this have no idea just how awful it is. I am just so grateful that my own dear old mum died peacefully in her sleep whilst still in possession of all her faculties.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Meganl1
a warm welcome to TP
and a belated happy birthday to your nana
it's lovely that you are watching out for her- she is fortunate to have such a thoughtful granddaughter
do have a mooch around TP as there is lots of info here - each person with dementia is affected in their own way, so it's hard to say how things will be for your nana; reading around will give you ideas of how to support her
best wishes

blueboy

Feb 21, 2015
Hi Megan - my Mum was at this stage about 18 months ago - she has Alzheimers. Now she is in a care home, unable to walk or stand, hardly speaks, never smiles and doesn't know me. Such a horrible disease. However. she is nearly 95 so I think her illness has progressed faster than your Nan's might as she is younger.

Meganl1

Dec 21, 2016
Hi, thank you all so much for your replies.
We're really struggling with her. She now has social workers going to see her every week.
She has been wearing the same clothes for over 2 weeks now and becomes aggressive if we try to take her clothes or even offer.
She also washes her underwear in the sink and thinks it's completely normal. We notice she isn't showering or washing her hair. But she says she is. She's become really bitter and calls everyone.