Please try to remember those who cant This Christmas

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
This Christmas ....................................................

" PLEASE REMEMBER THOSE WHO CAN`T"

Please share

Hiya all, Christmas time is a wonderful magical time for all, but can also be very stressful, even without dementia, but for some of those , like me, living with this disease (Not Suffering from it ) it can be one of the most upsetting times of the year, but it doesn't have to be, and here`s how...........

WHY ? Its nobody's fault, we all just get caught up in the excitement and expectations of Christmas to come and sometimes forget that the noise and confusion of the season can be very disorientating for those of us with this disease. Now before i go any further please understand i am certainly NOT asking anyone to put Christmas on hold, or "Turn the music down (So often said to me when i was younger Tee Hee) but quite simply be more aware. Please keep an eye on those with dementia, watch out for any looks of anxiety in their eyes, or jumping at sudden movements or loud noises, if this happens, take them into another room form a little while, sit with them, Turn on the TV, Radio, chat with them, even better give them an album of times past to look at . Please make sure you have, if possible, someone to take over from you, please dont forget its your Christmas as well!!

Before Christmas day and on the day there is so much you can do to Include them in the festivities, as you know, here at the Purple Angel dementia campaign "INCLUSION and ENGAGEMENT is our motto. May people think, through no fault of their own, that once a person is diagnosed with dementia they also become psychically disabled and do everything for them. This is so understandable at times because the LOVE we have, for a loved one, knows no bounds, but sometimes, just sometimes it can do more harm than good. One (of many) of the symptoms pf Dementia is short term memory loss, which means they may not be able to remember the last 10/20/30 yearsor so , BUT !!! That doesn't mean they CANNOT remember the 10/20/30 years before them and all those Christmas`s past!!!

Where ever physically possible please include them in everything in the run up to Christmas, ask them to help you make the Christmas cake, Puddings, Mince pies and dare i say MULLED WINE !! And why NOT??? Let them get flour all over the place and pinch a taste as it cooks, you might even learn something as well, watch them as they come out of there shell, become their own self's again and grow into the person they once were, what more of a Christmas present could you ever want?? On Christmas day ask them to help set the table, knives/forks spoons, even be a bit cheeky and ask them to do some washing up or drying, put a chair near the sink and help them. When around the table ask then what THEIR past Christmas`s were like when they were younger and sit in amazement as they probably tell you of days gone by, the kids might even learn something as well!!

But most of all, Enjoy yourselves as its YOUR Christmas as well !!!!

Please, try to............................

"""REMEMBER THOSE WHO CAN`T REMEMBER THIS YEAR ""

Norrms, Elaine and family xxx

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Eloquently put Norm. I will try to remember and will remind OH's daughter when we meet for lunch. Have a good Christmas. :)

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
This Christmas ....................................................

" PLEASE REMEMBER THOSE WHO CAN`T"

Please share

Hiya all, Christmas time is a wonderful magical time for all, but can also be very stressful, even without dementia, but for some of those , like me, living with this disease (Not Suffering from it ) it can be one of the most upsetting times of the year, but it doesn't have to be, and here`s how...........

WHY ? Its nobody's fault, we all just get caught up in the excitement and expectations of Christmas to come and sometimes forget that the noise and confusion of the season can be very disorientating for those of us with this disease. Now before i go any further please understand i am certainly NOT asking anyone to put Christmas on hold, or "Turn the music down (So often said to me when i was younger Tee Hee) but quite simply be more aware. Please keep an eye on those with dementia, watch out for any looks of anxiety in their eyes, or jumping at sudden movements or loud noises, if this happens, take them into another room form a little while, sit with them, Turn on the TV, Radio, chat with them, even better give them an album of times past to look at . Please make sure you have, if possible, someone to take over from you, please dont forget its your Christmas as well!!

Before Christmas day and on the day there is so much you can do to Include them in the festivities, as you know, here at the Purple Angel dementia campaign "INCLUSION and ENGAGEMENT is our motto. May people think, through no fault of their own, that once a person is diagnosed with dementia they also become psychically disabled and do everything for them. This is so understandable at times because the LOVE we have, for a loved one, knows no bounds, but sometimes, just sometimes it can do more harm than good. One (of many) of the symptoms pf Dementia is short term memory loss, which means they may not be able to remember the last 10/20/30 yearsor so , BUT !!! That doesn't mean they CANNOT remember the 10/20/30 years before them and all those Christmas`s past!!!

Where ever physically possible please include them in everything in the run up to Christmas, ask them to help you make the Christmas cake, Puddings, Mince pies and dare i say MULLED WINE !! And why NOT??? Let them get flour all over the place and pinch a taste as it cooks, you might even learn something as well, watch them as they come out of there shell, become their own self's again and grow into the person they once were, what more of a Christmas present could you ever want?? On Christmas day ask them to help set the table, knives/forks spoons, even be a bit cheeky and ask them to do some washing up or drying, put a chair near the sink and help them. When around the table ask then what THEIR past Christmas`s were like when they were younger and sit in amazement as they probably tell you of days gone by, the kids might even learn something as well!!

But most of all, Enjoy yourselves as its YOUR Christmas as well !!!!

Please, try to............................

"""REMEMBER THOSE WHO CAN`T REMEMBER THIS YEAR ""

Norrms, Elaine and family xxx

Dear Norrms Elaine and family,

Yesterday I had to defrost the fridge in preparation for the arrival of the turkey and Dad certainly enjoyed helping out! We cleared the fridge and then we both enjoyed stabbing at the ice. Some hours later the last bit of ice was still there and it was dad who had the idea that to get rid of this remaining ice we should just tap the roof of the freezer. This worked so well that I said are you really going to see the doctor again?

Happy Xmas

MaNaAk

Sometimes I joke with him and I say perhaps I should see the doctor as well. It is very important to keep your sense of humour!

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karen.geddes@thethinblack