But oh those lonely nights .........

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
Pea shingle delivered at 8.15, and nice well-muscled Young Man ;) carried it down the sideway for me too. Getting a bit apprehensive about the following 5 days of anniversaries, but taking deep breaths.

Eyes can be so appreciative ;) Why not? :D.
Will be thinking about you, take care. M xxx :)

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Hello Scarlett. Been trying to find you. Missed your comments on Partner with dementia. So sorry to hear that you have to have surgery and hope that when you get the date it is not to much longer to wait. Wish you all the best for a happy outcome which I am sure it will be. In the meantime have a peaceful Christmas. Love casbow.x

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Hope you are getting through the week and the pea shingle Scarlett. Only part way I know hoping for more peace for you this year. Xx

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Had my session with the consultant yesterday, and surgery is a bit more involved than first thought. Also, because I've had breast cancer, this qualified me for a sticker on my file saying "Priority". Apparently, having had any cancer gets you the sticker. When asked, I said yes, I could come in at very short notice.

I lied, and said that I would have someone with me at home, after surgery. At this point, I don't even have anyone to collect me from hospital, due to the half a dozen friends I could have asked, all being unable to, for various reasons.

Yesterday evening was so hard. John and I would have celebrated 50 years from when we met. I can still see myself getting ready for our first date the next day - funny how some memories never fade. Tomorrow is going to be tougher still, then 2 more days of bitter sweet anniversaries, but at least I'm getting all my tears over together.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and love.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
This might sound a ridiculous thing to say, but I have had a very good day today. :eek: I was so down yesterday evening, that I decided, late, to watch one of the DVDs of home videos, not having any idea what each one was, and it turned out to be Christmas 1990, when we had first borrowed the camera from the school where I was working.

We had the present opening and the meal recorded, and then after, I was persuaded to use one of my presents - a karaoke cassette! In The Old Days, you had backing tracks on the tape, and then the words printed, in very small writing, on a folded sheet. Well, I spent the time laughing till the tears ran down my face!

John (looking so handsome at 52!), singing, with me, Ob La Dee, Ob La Dah, and then him singing Yellow Submarine and You'll Never Walk Alone on his own, the kids singing Fame etc, and all of us murdering He Ain't Heavy, it was just hilarious, and I went to bed very late, but in high spirits.

Now I know it was uncanny that I "heard" the doorbell ring, at 6.30 in the morning when John died, and that turned out to be the exact time he had in fact died at the Care Home. Well, I'd arranged a food delivery for 7.30 - 8.30 today, so set my alarm for 7.20, figuring it was quite acceptable to be in my dressing gown.

But what time did I wake up? Exactly at half past 6. Too much of a coincidence. I had my hair done at 9, as usual, and when I went to pay, they'd bought me a huge bouquet of flowers - wasn't that kind? I arranged them when I got home, and then cut buds from John and my parents' rose bushes, to take to the Crem, with a bottle of water, a spoon for digging, and a little vase I'd made out of layers of foil.

I collected my granddaughter and when we got to the Crem, we had to wait for a parking space. It was absolutely packed, and some of the Christmas displays people had left were huge. But we agreed John would not have been impressed with being so ostentacious! And our little arrangement was full of meaning.

We had lunch out and when we returned home, my granddaughter did the housework, walked the dog, and changed the bed, and then we watched the Karaoke part of the DVD, and, like me, she had tears running down her face, laughing so much. I had so many nice texts and phone calls from friends today, and my son Skyped me twice from the USA, though poor Gloria has been admitted again to hospital, so I'm off to visit her tomorrow.

But my lonely Christmas isn't going to be lonely now, as I can play this DVD, and be surrounded by family and happy memories. And I have another 9 to watch. So that's 3 of the 5 days finished now, and as I said, it might sound odd, but I had a good day. :)

Many, many thanks for all your kind words and messages. xxx

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
How wonderful to have those memories in such a tangible form that you can relive them over and over. I'm so glad you felt ready to watch them, I imagine that is a big step forward from the very dark place you were in a year ago, and so nice for your granddaughter to see too. xxxxx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
This might sound a ridiculous thing to say, but I have had a very good day today. :eek: I was so down yesterday evening, that I decided, late, to watch one of the DVDs of home videos, not having any idea what each one was, and it turned out to be Christmas 1990, when we had first borrowed the camera from the school where I was working.

We had the present opening and the meal recorded, and then after, I was persuaded to use one of my presents - a karaoke cassette! In The Old Days, you had backing tracks on the tape, and then the words printed, in very small writing, on a folded sheet. Well, I spent the time laughing till the tears ran down my face!

John (looking so handsome at 52!), singing, with me, Ob La Dee, Ob La Dah, and then him singing Yellow Submarine and You'll Never Walk Alone on his own, the kids singing Fame etc, and all of us murdering He Ain't Heavy, it was just hilarious, and I went to bed very late, but in high spirits.

Now I know it was uncanny that I "heard" the doorbell ring, at 6.30 in the morning when John died, and that turned out to be the exact time he had in fact died at the Care Home. Well, I'd arranged a food delivery for 7.30 - 8.30 today, so set my alarm for 7.20, figuring it was quite acceptable to be in my dressing gown.

But what time did I wake up? Exactly at half past 6. Too much of a coincidence. I had my hair done at 9, as usual, and when I went to pay, they'd bought me a huge bouquet of flowers - wasn't that kind? I arranged them when I got home, and then cut buds from John and my parents' rose bushes, to take to the Crem, with a bottle of water, a spoon for digging, and a little vase I'd made out of layers of foil.

I collected my granddaughter and when we got to the Crem, we had to wait for a parking space. It was absolutely packed, and some of the Christmas displays people had left were huge. But we agreed John would not have been impressed with being so ostentacious! And our little arrangement was full of meaning.

We had lunch out and when we returned home, my granddaughter did the housework, walked the dog, and changed the bed, and then we watched the Karaoke part of the DVD, and, like me, she had tears running down her face, laughing so much. I had so many nice texts and phone calls from friends today, and my son Skyped me twice from the USA, though poor Gloria has been admitted again to hospital, so I'm off to visit her tomorrow.

But my lonely Christmas isn't going to be lonely now, as I can play this DVD, and be surrounded by family and happy memories. And I have another 9 to watch. So that's 3 of the 5 days finished now, and as I said, it might sound odd, but I had a good day. :)

Many, many thanks for all your kind words and messages. xxx

How lovely Scarlett. Hugs M xxx

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Yesterday wasn't so good, and today is worse, but I know it will eventually pass. I put a little candle in a piece of cake, and sang Happy Birthday to John. I cooked the turkey yesterday, and plated myself a dinner for today, and froze the rest in portions.

Love to everyone out there xxx

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Found Christmas Day and Boxing Day harder this year than last year. Lots of crying, and feeling sorry for myself and so lonely. But what a difference a day makes. :) My grand-daughter came yesterday, and we had a lovely day.

I did the hospital trips with Gloria today, lunch with a friend tomorrow, and then with Gloria on Friday.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Dear Scarlett, I found this year much more difficult than last-I don't know why-probably because I woke up on Xmas day with the very late realisation that I wouldn't ever see Pete again. Of course, that had occurred to me before but this time the feeling was so strong. My New Years resolution is to find my backbone:D It must be there somewhere:confused:

I'm very glad that you had a good day with your Grand-daughter.

Much love to you Scarlett.

Lyn T XX

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951