Emmerdale and dementia

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
I don't watch Emmerdale but had read about this and have now watched the clip. I shall be looking out for this episode in December - wish I had known Emmerdale was covering dementia and would have tried to follow it. It sounds like they are making a good job of it which makes a change.

Hopefully it is opening the eyes of ordinary viewers to the devastation of this disease too often dismissed as 'losing their marbles' and 'going do-lally' which makes my blood boil.

Loo

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
There is a special episode of Emmerdale tonight which will try to show dementia through the eyes of a very confused sufferer.

Ruth Langford, whose father had dementia, thanks John Middleton on This Morning for his portrayal of a person with dementia.

Emmerdale ITV 7pm.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
There is a special episode of Emmerdale tonight which will try to show dementia through the eyes of a very confused sufferer.

Ruth Langford, whose father had dementia, thanks John Middleton on This Morning for his portrayal of a person with dementia.

Emmerdale ITV 7pm.

I saw it yesterday Sylvia and he really is very good.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I agree Sue. His performance was so real , it made me remeber how Dhiren confused things and I found it really upsetting.

Tonight's 'walkabout' will be close to home too.

Risa

Apr 13, 2015
Essex
My family watched tonight's ep and could see so much of Mum in Ashley's behaviour. Such a realistic portrayal of someone with dementia. Really hope that something like this being shown at peak time in a popular programme will raise awareness.

mrs mcgonnagal

May 9, 2015
I have just watched it and cried throughout, I lost my mam in May, it's a terrible disease, the actor played it very very well I thought.

mrs mcgonnagal

May 9, 2015
They should Kassy, it brought back so many struggles to me, and with it showing vascular dementia, not so well known. I used to think my mam was living in a nightmare most of the time. I thought it showed that so well.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husband used to go walkabout and people who saw him said he was like a man on a mission. John Middleton played it so well, I was another in tears.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I cried from beginning to end:( What a performance; so realistic and much better than the solely 'memory loss' performances that are all too often aired.

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
It was an excellent portrayal of dementia. I could see my Mum in Ashley's actions and his fear, very sad to watch and yes Kassy, every care home staff should be made to watch it.

Ange

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I agree Kassy and with others it was excellent but you need to know a bit of the context and have seen a few more episodes to realise his changed perception in last night's episode i.e that he was 'seeing' different people. I'm not aware of any better portrayal of it because it really was excellent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
I haven't watched Emmerdale for years and feel that this is too close to home for me at the moment. All credit to them for tackling this.

I find one of the problem with 'soaps' is that they will raise an issue but then quickly move on to something else. Of course, this is how soap-land works but I am often irritated that someone who, just last week, suffered a bereavement, illness or other traumatic event is now portrayed as being 'over it'. I hope they don't come up with a trite, tidy conclusion to this issue too!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I haven't been able to watch it either. Too soon after Bill's death and it sounds very like my mum's vascular dementia. There was a phone in about it on Radio Scotland today but I only heard snatches of it. There seems to be general agreement that the acting was superb.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

tigerlady

Nov 29, 2015
I dont watch Emmerdale, but I watched it last night as my friend who does watch it told me what a good portrayal of dementia it showed and said that yesterdays episode was a special one. I cried all the way through it. His empty eyes and sudden actions of aggression because of fear were so like my husbands - he even looked a bit like him.

My husband is in a good care home now, but this brought back with a bang all the months leading up to that - the confusion, the baffled expression when trying to work out money, or how to make a drink, the obsession that he had to see his mum (long deceased) or his babies (50 + year old men now), glimpses of recognition, then complete panic and denial of the fact he was at home, the compulsion to leave the house to "go home", the sudden outbursts of aggression when he was so confused he didnt know who I was. Watching it now to see how it pans out

I agree that all SW's should watch this and learn what the relatives really have to go through, when all they see when they visit is the "hostess" behaviour