May 24, 2006
Sorry about your Mum Karen
Its all in the hands of the medics and divine will now
Try to enjoy the freedom from the stress of past weeks

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Karen
so sorry to hear of your latest problems.
It made me so sad when I read
'Am I sleeping here again tonight?'
It brought back memeories for me ,
It hurts me to think how confused they are and how dependent on us.
Thinking of you
Norman

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Hi Karen

Just caught up with this

My thoughts are with you and your Mum at this time. I also hope that the NH (how dare it call itself that?) :mad: gets what it deserves and that the care of the residents there is improved. At least your Mum is out of it.

I think that care like that will always exist while it is carried out on a for profit basis with carers really classed as basic level entry to employment. Until they are properly trained and remunerated it will happen.

At least it sounds like she is in a caring hospital. I remember how distressed Mum became when she was moved from place to place. Hopefully your Mum will get some stability and start to feel better soon. At least once the tests are done proper treatment and care can be planned.

Love

Mameeskye

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Karen

So sorry to hear about your mum.

Good though that she is being well cared for in hospital. She must be so confused after all those moves.

Sill I know to tell you to relax, but at least you now have some time to spend with your son, Knowing your mum is safe.

I hope you get some better news soon.

Love.

mica123

Apr 30, 2008
england
OMG.this is more than neglect.Who one earth was in charge of the home?i'm afraid this is gross misconduct on their part.Someone should have been awaiting the ambulance,with all relevant paperwork completed,whilst a member of staff was with your mum.disgusting behaviour from the home.x mica

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Oh Karen, I am so very very sorry that the news about mum isnt good, I really do feel for you. I hope all the investigations are completed soon, and a plan formulated to help mum.

Thinking of you both.

Love
Cate xxxx

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
We are refusing even bananas again and the only 'food' mum will even attempt to swallow is ice cream.
Love, Karen, x
Dear Karen, I'm so sorry to hear about your mum. On the nutrition/hydration front, ice cream is good. Can you perhaps try also mashing the banana/s with cream or ice cream, and perhaps a little sugar? My mum eats this when everything else is rejected.
Wishing you and your mum all the very best.
Love Deborah xx

Kate P

Jul 6, 2007
Merseyside
Karen,

I'm so sorry to hear the news on your mum but she is in the right place now with good care and people who are attentive to her needs.

I wish I had something tremedously helpful to say but all I can offer is a big hug {{{HUG}}} and my thoughts and prayers.

Take care of yourself.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Well, tests for mum today have proven that - apart from anything else - half the larynx has shut down .... and, whether it is a sign of malignancy or not, PEG feeding has been suggested ....

It's 2/3 years ago when mum last 'dropped' a lot of weight previously that a return of her cancers was suggested by various consultants - but having been scanned and probed from top to toe since then it was decided it was her dementia which made either 'forget' to eat or made her lose the ability to recognise hunger ....... the consultant suggested today it may be a 'mix' .......

I know there have been some excellent threads on TP on PEG feeding in the past ..... (although for mum this seems to have come early in her dementia journey because of the physical factors involved) ...... so am now off to do some homework, although I feel my decision is already clear .......

Thank you everyone for their good wishes ..... it means a lot ....

Love, Karen, x

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
Tender Face. Although it is not looking too good at for you I hope that you are keeping your spirits up.

Difficult I know, given the circumstances, but it seems to me that you are finding those extra resources that you need to help you through.

Just a word of caution not to run yourself to a standstill and reserve just a little for yourself.

My thoughts are with you.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
... it seems to me that you are finding those extra resources that you need to help you through.

Well given mum can only talk in a rasping whisper ..... she managed to tell me off today because my hair was a mess .... don't I know it!!!!! :rolleyes: Like I've had time to worry about that :eek: ... then she shouted at the nurse when she changed her drip and didn't like how she did it - then the porter (wrong coloured wheel chair or something) ... then the nurse in the clinic because she (mum) had no clothes on (she did - as did the nurse!!!!!! ) .... but it's OK - the Queen Mother is in the next bed ....... and my dad (RIP 1999) visited her last night ......

It's so ***** tragic .... she was relatively independent less than a month ago ....... now my dreams of ever getting her back to her beloved little home seem shot ....

Sorry, tearful day .... Karen, x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
It's so ***** tragic .... she was relatively independent less than a month ago ....... now my dreams of ever getting her back to her beloved little home seem shot ....

Oh dear, Karen, I know that feeling!:(

That's exactly what happened to John last September when he got his first infection.

It would be a good if there were some research into why some people with dementia recover completely from infections, while others sustain huge neurological damage.

I also understand your dilemma ove the PEG, I had to make that decision for my mum, and it's tough, either way.

Love and hugs,

Tina

May 19, 2006
but it's OK - the Queen Mother is in the next bed ....... and my dad (RIP 1999) visited her last night ......

Sorry, tearful day .... Karen, x

Dear Karen,

no advice, just feel for you and can understand the tears. Let them flow. You can only take it day by day at the moment, but it's so hard to see the deterioration.

At least mum's keeping good company, with your dad around and the Queen Mum. Sorry, didn't mean to offend, I know it's all very difficult.

Take care,
love Tina x

Last edited:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london

Sure is a tragic , hope you don;t take this all what I am saying the wrong way , but no matter where your mother is living I believe as long as she has you near her at this time, that all that matter

also please to read that your mother still got that fighting sprite to argue with every one , also telling you off about your hair , bless her soul , I bet she worried about you seeing you hair in a mess , that our mother :) for ya ! they never stop being our mother no matter how un well they are xxx(((hugs))) .

Last edited:

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Absolutely no offence .... I am clinging on to anything I can find to smile about ... the fact mum still has some 'spirit' and fight left in her ....

The 'Hurrahs' today from consultant and nurse and therapist that she just managed to follow instructions for her 'swallow test' .... I am so desperately proud of her .......

I know she is confused and anxious ... but as long as there is 'fight' left in her .... then there is 'fight' in me on her behalf too ..... If she can tell me lucidly that there is no quality life worth battling for ... I'll lay down my weapons ....

Thank you all, Karen, x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951