Hypotension

Lotto

Mar 13, 2014
Hello all - please could you let me know if you care for someone who has been diagnosed with hypotension and what medication was diagnosed to help the problem?
Many thanks

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
My mother was diagnosed hypo a few years ago. She collapsed three times and ended up in ambulance to A&E. I noticed that prior to each collapse she'd gone from sitting to standing suddenly, once in church, another time in a waiting room and at a friends house, each time she'd stood up, then fallen back down. When I asked if there was a connection they monitored her and found she had low blood pressure when resting.
Whenever she'd arrived at hospital her BP seemed normal but because it was being pushed up by the stress of what had just happened to her.
They stopped her tablet for high blood pressure (she'd been on them for years), monitored her for a week then prescribed something to raise her BP which seemed to work. She never collapsed again, I checked her blood pressure twice a day and it was always within limits so the problem went away.
K

irismary

Feb 7, 2015
West Midlands
The stroke nurse found my husbands blood pressure to be low - 100/65. It had always been normal. The doctor checked and got the same however as he seems to have no ill effects from it he has not been prescribed anything. Perhaps it is not low enough for that. He is very slow when walking and gets a bit breathless but he did before the stroke so maybe no connection.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Mine is often around that, irismary. My GP says "it's normal for you. Much better that way than have high BP and be trying to get it down! " She said a bp reading a little below what's considered "normal" is only a problem if it's causing dizziness, fainting or falls, or if the low bp is something new , which mine isn't.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
The cardiologists say that a blood pressure can never be too low as it helps prevent heart attacks. However, doctors caring for elderly people prefer the b/p to be a bit higher as it reduces the risks of faints and falls. The 'happy medium' varies from one person to the next!

Lotto

Mar 13, 2014
Many thanks for all your comments about this - if anyone knows about specific medications that can be taken please let me know - sorry about the delay in getting back

Lotto

Mar 13, 2014
Thank you for this - do you know what medication was prescribed? I am having difficulty getting doctors to do anything about this - instead they have sent us for a CT scan

Lotto

Mar 13, 2014
My mother was diagnosed hypo a few years ago. She collapsed three times and ended up in ambulance to A&E. I noticed that prior to each collapse she'd gone from sitting to standing suddenly, once in church, another time in a waiting room and at a friends house, each time she'd stood up, then fallen back down. When I asked if there was a connection they monitored her and found she had low blood pressure when resting.
Whenever she'd arrived at hospital her BP seemed normal but because it was being pushed up by the stress of what had just happened to her.
They stopped her tablet for high blood pressure (she'd been on them for years), monitored her for a week then prescribed something to raise her BP which seemed to work. She never collapsed again, I checked her blood pressure twice a day and it was always within limits so the problem went away.
K

Thank you for this - do you know what medication was prescribed?