The time is right

carol4444

Feb 5, 2014
If there is anyone out there, I need your support. I need you to cross everything for me for the next two days so that I can move mum into a care home

I thought that if mum was self funding, everything would be ok. Not so. It seems that council funded places are preferred as the funding is then guaranteed. So, after a long afternoon on the phone I have found a bed in the dementia wing of a care home attached to my father's nursing home. Perfect.

Still a couple of hurdles. I hope that the dr visiting tomorrow will deem my mum to not have capacity. Then I have to hope that mum behaves appropriately (don't know what is expected) so that the carehome manager will think favourably upon mum when he visits on Weds.

The dr was reluctant to make a decision last week as he came a cropper before by sending someone home even though everyone else didn't agree. Social workers are not interested as we are self funding. Care home manager is wary as he has 'dementia residential' beds but no 'dementia nursing' beds so he will turn mum down if he feels the home won't cope. Mum is physically fit apart from a prolapse.

Even though my mum has started wandering outside, locks herself out with insufficient clothing, turns the heating off, unwraps the cladding on the pipes in the cellar (favourite game), she can 'talk the talk'. The 'talk/bluff' bit of her brain works perfectly, in fact it works overtime to give the impression that she has capacity/can manage everything. Mum would like to stay in her own home but she has deteriorated rapidly over the last three weeks.

In reality she can't read/write/keep clean/dress or anything like run her own life. She spends her day complaining bitterly about her children who don't look after her. Mum has carers four times a day with my brother and I topping up the extra cleaning/shopping/cleaning. After five years we are worn out, the time is right.

Mum no longer knows where she is so her wishes to stay in her own home are no longer relevant, we have done our bit, I feel, at considerable cost.

I know that many carers do much more than I could ever hope to do but I am praying that this week ends well, mum will be well looked after at night and I can sleep through at last.

Cross your fingers for me please.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
As I type this my fingers are crossed for you. Hope all works out and your mother will soon be in the care home of your choice.

Meppershall

Aug 16, 2016
Bedfordshire
Oh Carol xxx I desperately hope you get the best result for you and your Mum, you sound as if you have done more than your fair share and you deserve a well earnt rest and the chance to sleep at night without worrying. All the very best of luck x

carol4444

Feb 5, 2014
Thanks so much everyone. Life will never be the same again for dementia carers. If I was given the chance to go back and re-live my life differently, I would still choose a life with mum, despite our dementia experience, love her dearly. I can only liken it to heartbreak everyday. We all experience lows from time to time, death of a family pet, loss of a loved one or friend but dementia just keeps on coming and delivering, week after week. This site helps, enormously. So much help from everyone. xxxx

carol4444

Feb 5, 2014
Dr arrived yesterday to discuss Mum's care and options. As soon as the words 'dementia' and 'carehome' were mentioned mum started to get so agitated. Angry, upset, crying, accusing. Dr couldn't leave fast enough once the toys were out of the pram. I was surprised that mum could get so many sentences together, must have been temper or adrenaline. I retreated to sister in law for cup of tea, shaking. Then hour and half journey home in thick fog. Care home manager visiting today so we will go through same process no doubt. I'm not sure they will take mum as she will need so much support, it is difficult to leave a patient when they are always crying or agitated. The care home is alz residential not alz nursing so I guess it will be a short term solution and she may have to move to a higher dependency unit at some stage.

Dr has agreed that mum doesn't have capacity, he has prescribed diazepam and sleeping tablets which may ease her agitation in the first few days of her move. I just hope it all goes well, she needs to be in a safe place now and we are all worn out and getting ill. Such a wretched disease.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
It is much better to be upfront and honest with the assessor about your mums problems than trying to minimise it in the hope that she will get in. Once she is in the home and they realise that they cannot meet her needs the home is likely to give her notice to leave - sometimes with quite short notice. I would also ask the assessor what behaviour they would not be able to cope with. Wandering is a common no no, so if the assessor says this, IMO I wouldnt even go there. I know this home is where your father is, so I can see the attraction, but getting a PWD into the wrong home for them can store up a whole load of problems for the future.

I do hope I am wrong, that the assessor is happy and she will settle into this home.

carol4444

Feb 5, 2014
Hi Canary,

Can't quite believe it but my mum has sweetly agreed to go into a care home. She has probably forgotten this already. The manager's only concerns were about administering the morphine patch that mum has for back pain. He thinks the district nurse can do this for her. Other than that he was quite happy. Although mum will sleep in the Alzheimer's wing, she can be taken into the residential wing each day if she wants to do crafts, or visit Dad in nursing section. It is the great unknown, I don't know how she will take to it but I am just relieved that she will be safe. As an aside I notice that her four care visits at home were being condensed in to a day commencing with breakfast at 10 am, lunch at 1, tea at 3.30 then evening visit at 7 pm. This leaves too long a gap for her to manage alone. So, huge relief.

carol4444

Feb 5, 2014
Crummiest of days. Mum went to care home today. I had a sad day, cleared the fridge of all things likely to go off, cleaned up house, brought back car full of washing which will have to stay in car until tomorrow as you can smell the washing from 40 yards away. I've just been told that mum is trying to escape out of the windows. My brother is on his way to see if he can pacify her. Mum is so poorly with this disease she can't even switch a lightswitch on or off. What happens now? Am longing for a 'normal' day. I'm not a drinker but I am looking at that bottle of scotch that my dad left behind. Feeling very shaky. I don't think the care home have any obligations so they might say 'not for us thanks'.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa