Advice please,

Beth56

Nov 14, 2016
Could somebody advise me please. If my husband would need to go into care, would they include my personal accounts in the assessment, we both have separate account, plus a joint one for household bills. I feel so much better after reading your posts and realise that I am not alone in wanting to walk away , but never would:)

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
No. Only his finances will be assessed. In the matter of a joint account, half of it will be considered his. Separate finances are often a better idea in this case, unless he's the one with the money!

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Further to Beate's post Beth, when my husband was assessed they also wanted details of my financial situation. I think every authority does it differently but here they said it was because they would base the assessment on whichever one of the couple had the lower income/assets. I also think they want to check whether the pwd has moved assets to a partner to avoid charges. This would be seen as deprivation of assets and they take quite a dim view of that.

Beth56

Nov 14, 2016
Emeralda , I suspect they have no right to view mine, all my assets are from working till 64, also some monies inherited from my parents

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
They have absolutely no right to look at your assets. If you became ill at a later date then those assets might be necessary for your care.

jangie

Dec 3, 2016
Advice please

Hi. Don't know your age but if your OH is going to be self funded remember that you can still claim Attendance Allowance. They will inspect finances carefully but it is more for the purpose of making sure there has not been a deliberate deprivation of capital.
Age UK have a fantastic website relating to care homes and paying fees, etc.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Emeralda , I suspect they have no right to view mine, all my assets are from working till 64, also some monies inherited from my parents

Same as me Beth, in fact I put a lot more money into the house as well when we moved, but rather foolishly just put it in joint names, can't do anything about that now. Don't know where I would have stood if I'd refused to let them view my finances. Just to be clear, they are not saying I would have to fund his care (although I know a lot of people have to top up ch fees).

Beth56

Nov 14, 2016
My husband would not be self funding, I AM 70 he is 89 , the assets I have would mean I would be self funding

Beth56

Nov 14, 2016
Oh visits GP on Monday, I have been trying to get him to visit his Dr 2 yrs, now that he has agreed, I feel quite anxious. Does anyone know how these memory tests work please.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Our GP didn't do much, just gave him a short memory test, then referred him to the Memory Clinic. They are more thorough and arrange for memory tests, blood tests and brain scans.