Pacemakers

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Husband has an unusually low heart rate of between 38 and 44. This causes nurses to nearly have a heart attack themselves when they take his pulse but he has always had a low rate (bradycardia). Yesterday his consultant said he wanted an ECG done ASAP with a view to possibly putting a pacemaker in place.

Now I know that surgery is a problem with dementia and wonder about what is involved re time and anaesthetic with a pacemaker.

The consultant said he thought he was at "second stage bradycardia".

He has had a few falls recently and this seems to be the cause of renewed interest in his heart.

Anyone with experience of this?

Havemercy

Oct 8, 2012
Yes, the reason for the falls is probably that his heart has been having a few pauses - but this is usually easily remedied by implanting a pacemaker. Where I work we would usually have the patient into hospital in the morning, do the procedure perhaps under sedation, and most patients return home that evening if they have someone with them at home.

You can ask to be with your relative all day for reassurance (except in the theatre where they implant the device). It is viewed as a minor procedure but of course the patient would not think that!

The aftercare is usually straightforward - there may be a stitch which a practice or district nurse can remove - but the affected arm on the side where the pacemaker is inserted will need to be kept below shoulder height for a little while. That will probably be the most problematic.

Best wishes.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Thanks for that HM. So some confusion after sedation but probably able to come home straight away.

carrieboo

Feb 1, 2016
herts uk
My dad had a pacemaker, he didn't have dementia but he was very disabled from a stroke and had heart failure. It was done under local anaesthetic. Mum and I stayed with him all day apart from the hour or so for the procedure. They kept him in overnight but I think that's unusual, it was only because his heart was so weak.

I brought him home the next day and the pacemaker definitely improved his quality of life.

Amble

Jun 5, 2007
Surrey UK
Pacemaker

My husband too now has a pacemaker.
It was quite a minor procedure but they kept him in overnight to be on the safe side.
It has definitely improved his quality of life not to mention making it safer.

They discovered the need whilst doing a pre op assessment for something else.. It delayed the op as they also discovered he is diabetic type 2, as well as needing the pacemaker, but it was a very positive result and I'm deeply grateful for the help given.

Reallife

Jun 12, 2015
Lancashire
My 86 year old Dad has just had a pacemaker fitted today. It was very straightforward. It was done with a local anaesthetic and a very small amount of sedation. He went into theatre at 3.15pm and was back out an hour later. He was kept on the recovery ward under observation for another 2 1/2 hours and then sent home. We were able to stay with him at all times, except his actual time in theatre.

Beetroot

Aug 19, 2015
My mother's heart went blippity blip while she was on the stairs and she came down head first. There is a nice dent in the skirting board on the stairs where her head hit it. Anyway, taken to hospital with lights and siren, pacemaker fitted followed by a noticable and sustained improvement in her stamina levels. She has to go back every six months for a routine check and that's no problem.