Does cold weather have an effect ?

Morganlefay

May 20, 2014
Buckinghamshire
My OH was diagnosed 3 years ago and has remained mostly very well all that time - I think thanks to Aricept. But lately he has started being very vague and confused, can't hear what I say or can't always understand it. It seems to have coincided with the cold weather and I wondered if that has an effect ? I know this is a small thing, but I would just be interested if anyone else has experienced this :)

100 miles

Apr 16, 2015
I never noticed this with my mother. But the heating was kept on so high she was only exposed to the cold when she went out.

If the change is very sudden it may be a UTI. That seems to knock PWD for six, reduces comprehension, communication, physical strength and balance.

Maybe take a sample to the surgery to be tested by a nurse?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I'd always wondered if it wasn't the reduced daylight that was the problem. I watch people wander round the care home and it's always seemed to me that the blackness outside and the reflections from the black windows seem to disorientate people, I always close the curtains as soon as it gets dark which seems to help.
K

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I am definitely a lot worse in the darker months and agree with Kevinl, not only the lack of daylight but the lack of sunlight seems to make things worse. I have been like a hibernating hedgehog for the last few days, struggling to wake up and stay awake - its easier to stay asleep on days like those.

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
Hi Morgan

My OH on similar timescale and medication as yours. I have noticed a deterioration in the last few weeks thought it was just progression but could be the weather. He sometimes puts a woolly hat on during the day which alerts me to turn the heating up. (Don't notice it much as I move around more than him). I have noticed though that he hates the rain. I think nothing of popping out to the shed in the rain but he goes fully equipped. I had to supervise his shower this morning as I suspected he was washing properly. He shampooed hair but wasn't going to wash his body. Felt so sorry for him but at least he accepts advice and even says thanks.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
He sometimes puts a woolly hat on during the day which alerts me to turn the heating up. QUOTE]

I am sometimes aware of the blood draining from the surface of my brain to the centre making my head feel very cold and put a hat on but the rest of me usually feels OK. It is most odd. My body temp regulation has changed dramatically I never cold have the heating much below 21 degrees in winter this year don't seem cold with it at 16:confused:

irismary

Feb 7, 2015
West Midlands
My OH was diagnosed 2 years ago but I spotted symptoms 3 years ago. He now really feels the cold and now its dark in the morning he doesn't want to get out of bed. He is ok if I open the blinds and its bright outside but can't always get up that late!

Caz60

Jul 24, 2014
Lancashire
My hubby feels the cold all year round but even more now winter is upon us .His hands are always freezing and he wears a body warmer indoors even though we have heating on all day long .
He also reacts differently when there is no light hence lamps and lights are on most of the day now .
He never used to feel the cold he was an outdoor person before LBDEMENTIA..x

Optomistic

Jul 24, 2014
Manchester
Confusion

my husband has gone worse since he had a bad fall a month ago he takes Aricept. It worked well for two years. He has alzheimers it affects his speech and memory. he doesnt seem to understand things sometimes.

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
Sue, Thanks for info on cold head. OH is quite thin on top now as well and he might well have the same feeling as you. Afraid I thought he was hinting he was cold all over. Will leave him with his hat if it makes him more comfortable.