Night time behaviors

Gershom

Dec 19, 2015
Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
I'm taking care of an old Chinese lady,2 years ago she was diagnosed of vascular dementia.Every night sleeping time her behavior change,she slept on and off but Every time she get up middle of the night till morning 4-6 in morning non stop craving of so many kinds of foods and drinks,mumbling and growning voice.Seems like somebody possessed her body.I'm just worried because her voice sounds different it looks like not her.Her brain wants to do something but her body sleeping.Recently she was in and out from the hospital.Few days she was diagnosed of her 2nd time stroke at the same part of her brain as last time.Im just worried that she will get another stroke at night time behavior.She stop seing doctor for her dementia for almost a year because that time the doctor gave her the medicines that makes her physically weak but mentally allert.Is she need to see doctor again?Which doctor is suitable for her neurologist or psychiatrist?.Thanks for the time reading my story.I appreciate all the comments and advices.
God Bless..

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Gershom
I agree that your lady needs to be seen by medics - I'm sure you are keeping her family fully up to date with her condition as it's they who should contact her doctors and consultants

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
It sounds to me as though she is Sundowning - which is when people with dementia get a regular period of being agitated and confused. Usually this is in the evening and at night - hence the name. It is very common for people with dementia to be up doing things at night and then not remembering that they have done this in the morning.
I read in your other post that she is going to a nursing home over Christmas and her anxiety about this might be what is triggering it.
You can get drugs to help, so yes, I would contact the psychiatrist.

Gershom

Dec 19, 2015
Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
It sounds to me as though she is Sundowning - which is when people with dementia get a regular period of being agitated and confused. Usually this is in the evening and at night - hence the name. It is very common for people with dementia to be up doing things at night and then not remembering that they have done this in the morning.
I read in your other post that she is going to a nursing home over Christmas and her anxiety about this might be what is triggering it.
Yes,I also suspected of sundowning syndrome.
Thanks

Gershom

Dec 19, 2015
Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
Hi,do you have idea if the sundowning can be treatable?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi,do you have idea if the sundowning can be treatable?

The sundowning itself isnt treatable, as such, but you can get drugs to reduce the anxiety and agitation which usually sets off the behaviour. These drugs would have to be given by the psychiatrist.

Gershom

Dec 19, 2015
Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
The sundowning itself isnt treatable, as such, but you can get drugs to reduce the anxiety and agitation which usually sets off the behaviour. These drugs would have to be given by the psychiatrist.
Aaahhh...ok,we better send her to see psychiatrist again as soon as possible
Thanks