HELP! Severe vascular dementia - what now?

Miss T

Jan 16, 2012
Devastating news last night of vascular dementia. Last Sunday she took communion, cooked a roast, went to a family party. MIL, 85, is suddenly listless, incoherent, has not eaten, only sips of water, bed ridden. She will be moved from acute care to geriatric and then her care planned.
What should we be doing? Tips, pitfalls, just need to be prepared x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
That seems a rapid progression. Are doctors sure it`s due only to dementia? Might there be an additional cause?

SisterAct

Jul 5, 2011
Liverpool, Merseyside
Hi MissT
Sorry you are all going through this. Our Dad went exactly the same. Out and about one day and bed ridden the next. It came on so fast we we really shocked. We couldn't make him eat or drink and it was really hard to deal with.

Hopefully they have checked for water infections as they have had this effect on Dad and after a course of antibiotics he was fine again.

If it isn't an infection.
You need to make your Mums journey as comfortable as possible.
Check for breakdown of skin if she is in bed. We applied Cavalon on all the pressure areas (even the ears which we hadn't realised)
Play some of her favourite music and talk to her about the good times you have had together. Dad couldn't talk back but he could hear as he used to squeeze our hands.
Check her mouth to make sure she has no mouth ulcers.
Moisturise her skin, the touch may be comforting
Make sure she is painfree.

Thinking of you all xxx

Miss T

Jan 16, 2012
Thank you so much for those tips. The doctor said she was 'happy' to treat her for a UTI (none the day before) but did not think her presentation would be much affected. We hope a real ward, in acute care at mo, with a geriatric team and yes some personal care will help (us at least x) x

Judge80

Nov 23, 2016
Sudden decline

As I understand ( and have witnessed) from my MIL's vascular dementia it is usually a gradual step decline caused by mini strokes and irreversible brain damage over a period of time. In your case it sounds as if she has had a dramatic decline and suddenly been diagnosed with dementia which is unusual. Has she had a major stroke ( which may or may not be part of Vascular dementia)? I assume doctors have carried out full blood and other tests before diagnosing? We have seen a rapid decline in my MIL's health when an infection occurs but she gradually lost her abilities over several years. I personally would ask for a full explanation from medics about their conclusion and wish you all the best at this difficult time.

Last edited: