Sad time

Redpoppy

Jul 31, 2012
Glamorgan s.wales
My 87yr old husband was admitted to the wonderful local Hospice.I was told he was there for approximately 2 weeks while our home was assessed and we would be provided with a hospital. bed and all aids necessary. I have been contacting adult social services for months, with no results!! After he has. been there for 2weeks he has deteriorated rapidly and I have been told he is too ill to return home. We have to investigate for a Nursing home now but I really wanted his last days to be here with the family, but due to the poor attention from Social services this is not going to happen. They had the cheek to ring me to make an occupational health. visit the day he was taken to the Hospice. All this has happened so quickly. I had prepared the room and given away furniture to accommodate the hospital. Bed etc.I hope other people will find Social Services more helpful than I did. I doubt my husband will be well enough to be moved anywhere now bless him. At least he is comfortable and well looked after by the kind Hospice staff. This disease goes on for years with such a.cruel end of life. My thoughts are with all who are caring for their loved ones.

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
A disappointing sad time for you Redpoppy. I do hope there will be some improvement for your husband. My thoughts are with you both. M xxx :)

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
It happened to me in 2011, Ray was hospitalized five weeks after a stroke, he had 12 weeks in hospital, they said he was ready to come home and he was home five hours before being taken back to hospital and from there into a nursing home. I had a $2000 bathroom reno done, so it was all wasted. No mater where you live it depends on how much you are listened to and what truths you are told.

Sorry to hear it has not worked out as you were told it would. I hope you and your husband can still have some good times together. Ray and I did in that last year, against all odds it would seem.

Sue.

Redpoppy

Jul 31, 2012
Glamorgan s.wales
No more suffering

I wanted to let you know my dear husband passed away after spending the last 3 weeks of his life in our local Marie Currie hospice. I wanted to continue nursing him at home,but he was too ill for me to manage,even if we had carers. We were able to visit any day,any time,and the staff were extremely kind to both him and all the family. Thank you Talking Point for your support during Derek's illness and best wishes to all the carers, their partners.and loved ones. Now it is time for me to adjust to living on my own after 57yrs of marriage. I am so grateful to have 3 wonderful daughters who I know will help me through this difficult time.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to read your news. My thoughts are with you at this most difficult time. Sending condolences and wishing you strength. x

Toddleo

Oct 7, 2015
Redpoopy, such a dreadful time for you and the family. Sending virtual condolences and wishing you all well.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
So sorry to hear that you have lost your dear husband Redpoppy, it sounds as though the hospice was a peaceful good place for him to be. Just so hard for you to have to face life without him now. I'm glad your daughters are close to you.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Redpoppy

Jul 31, 2012
Glamorgan s.wales
Thanks

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. It's been 3 weeks now since my husband passed away,and I am experiencing what so many other carers have described. After having had so much to do( willingly) I am now finding it difficult to adapt to having time to myself,and not having Derek to love and care for. I know I will accept the situation in time,but after living 57yrs of our lives together it won't be easy. Sending best wishes to all carers and their partners,and thanks again.