Falling Backwards

Lotto

Mar 13, 2014
Hello I would be grateful for anyone's help and advice. I singlehandedly look after my mum who has Alzheimer's/Vascular Dementia. Up until now her mobility was generally goog but has now gone completely downhill. She keeps falling backwards and we have had many falls both inside and out of the home. It is got to the point where I do not feel safe taking her out - which is a big life change for us. I wondered if anyone had also experienced this and got any treatment to help. I thought she might have postural hypotension - flagged this up to the Dr's but they have not suggested any medication. They have now referred us to a geriatrician - her mobility is very much up and down. Added to that she has ongoing urinary tract infections - and is now resistant to a lot of antibiotics so she cannot even go on a low dose to try to prevent them.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Hello you , please ask for a falls clinic referral either mental health or GP should be able to do so. They will do a proper assessment . Hope this helps a bit. Big hugs xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Lotto

Mar 13, 2014
Hello you , please ask for a falls clinic referral either mental health or GP should be able to do so. They will do a proper assessment . Hope this helps a bit. Big hugs xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Hi thanks so much for your reply. Yes they are coming next week - but tell me they cannot help medically. Concerned why she is falling back like this so frequently - it's impossible even to take her coat off. X

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
All I can think of, when you need to take her out, use a wheel-chair, at least then she's supported behind her back.

Bod

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Not sure about this but am wondering whether sometimes the brains of people with dementia aren't able to sort out where they are in space? It's common for patients to slump sideways, after all.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
My aunt who had vascular dementia and diabetes used to fall backwards. She was referred to the falls clinic and given some exercises to do. These made a noticeable difference to her walking and balance for a while. She started to fall again towards the end of her life.

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011
Just a quicky but Occupational Therapy is very useful not just for exercises but aids.

For going outside my mother has a 'handling belt' which is so useful. It was given to us and is padded with hand-sized loops on the back. I can walk behind or alongside my mother, who walks with a frame, and with my hands in the loops we feel safe.

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Last edited:

Lotto

Mar 13, 2014
All I can think of, when you need to take her out, use a wheel-chair, at least then she's supported behind her back.

Bod

Thanks - I am trying to keep her mobile and she can walk - I have bought a wheelchair though, I just hope we can get help with this. She is so variable - it makes it very difficult to judge.

Lotto

Mar 13, 2014
Not sure about this but am wondering whether sometimes the brains of people with dementia aren't able to sort out where they are in space? It's common for patients to slump sideways, after all.

She does sometimes do that - often when she has an infection - but there could be something else going on as it is a drastic change to how she used to be.

Lotto

Mar 13, 2014
My aunt who had vascular dementia and diabetes used to fall backwards. She was referred to the falls clinic and given some exercises to do. These made a noticeable difference to her walking and balance for a while. She started to fall again towards the end of her life.

Thanks for this - we are seeing a geriatrician next week now. We did see one earlier in the year but as mum couldn't follow the exercises, they just gave up on giving her any physiotherapy.

Lotto

Mar 13, 2014
Just a quicky but Occupational Therapy is very useful not just for exercises but aids.

For going outside my mother has a 'handling belt' which is so useful. It was given to us and is padded with hand-sized loops on the back. I can walk behind or alongside my mother, who walks with a frame, and with my hands in the loops we feel safe.

Hi thank you for this - I will mention this to them. I have walked alongside my mother for years now holding her arm or hand. She cannot use a walking framer or any other device but I'll look into this to see if it will help

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
Dad fell a lot in hospital so much they put him on one on one watch
He came home and had one the first day but then nothing for a while. He's now started falling more frequently. The GP says it's the dementia whereas the DN thinks there could be an underlying issue
We tried OT but dad doesn't understand or follow their instructions.
He lifts his frame when he walks