A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Thanks for understanding.

M will still come to my meditation group but I won't get more involved. There's a limit to my involvement with dementia while I have the choice , because for the past 25 years I haven't had the choice.

Thank you for such an honest post Sylvia. I'm very sure that I would feel the same.

Love,

Lyn T XX

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Since Dhiren died in January 2014 I have felt his presence in the house and it has been a good and comforting feeling.

Just under three years later I have realised that presence is no longer here. The house is empty.

I`m OK. Just slightly shocked the feeling is so real.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Thanks for sharing that Sylvia. For obvious reasons I find that very interesting. Bill only had less than 4 weeks in our new apartment. I don't feel his actual presence there really.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
I wonder what has changed for you, Sylvia?

I'm finding it hard to put the right words down but maybe you are in a different frame of mind now.

Was it a gradual thing that you felt he was there less and less often but a bit of a shock when you realised it? x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
No Sue. It was a sudden realisation.

I was talking to a friend on the phone. Her husband died a month before Dhiren. She was saying she still sits in his chair and feels he is around her . When she goes out, she goes home to him. In that instant I knew Dhiren was no longer here.

The feeling the house is now empty was strange but very strong.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
It must be very unsettling, Sylvia. I don't feel OH is anywhere in this house, except his workshop. Never a shed!! Even though it's been tidied, tools remain and it's still his.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
This must be unsettling Sylvia but maybe it has something to do subconscious awareness somehow. Although we lived here for 30 years before Dave went into hospital that fateful morning and never returned,I don't think I have felt him around me here at all since he died. I do sit in his chair though but he isn't there.
I hope this new feeling doesn't make you unhappy for very long. x

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m not unhappy Saffie . It was good while it lasted though.

It must be nice to still have your OH`s work shop Spamar. :)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
It isn't so much that I feel William's presence here, as that every bush, shrub and tree here was planted by him. The circular garden behind the house was his special project. And I still have his recliner chair. I moved to another bedroom when he went to the nursing home though. I couldn't stay in "our" room without him. Although I might feel different when I get it redecorated.

Ps. I could not face being involved with dementia again now - in fact I'm finding it very difficult even doing things like taking mum shopping, because her physical disability means she can now only walk a very short distance, and that oh, so very slowly! It's just like when I used to take William out. And I'm ashamed to say that I am finding myself thinking "I don't want to be doing this again." Even though mum doesn't have dementia.

Last edited:

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
I think all the changes that are happening in the house are more difficult bacause each change distances me from a time with Tom.

Glad you are able to deal with this Sylvia. xx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
It is, Sylvia, but eventually I -or my executors if I don't move- will have to sort it!! He loved his diy, made practically all the furniture at our old house. He had some of my fathers stuff as well, when he died. After moving here, he spent ages sorting the workshop, call it a shed at your peril!!
It lasted until he cut three fingers on the circular saw, resulting in a quick trip to a&e and several stitches and lots of steristrips! He never really worked in there again, except to clean his pipe!

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hi Sylvia,
Following your thread as always!! I want to say I feel David's absence which is different to missing his presence; ? is that grieving, if so I think it will last throughout my life?. The house is empty without him but its more than that - I just miss him wherever I am, in the house or out of it.

I am sure it is possible to move away from these feelings, depending on where you are in life and spirit. I do feel those who can move on, maybe meet others, should do so. No one reacts the same and our grieving and on going lives will differ.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Gosh Jan. Feeling his absence. That's absolutely it. That's how I feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
That is an excellent way of putting it. And it's exactly what it's like here. I don't really miss William in the house or that. But I do feel his absence very much in his garden.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I find reading some posts from current carers is bringing back so many memories and is completely overwhelming.

Did I live through that!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I have to confess I'm finding it hard to read or respond to a lot of posts. They bring back so much. Hopefully I'll move through that stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.