Tape for Adult nappies

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Can anyone out there suggest a strong tape ? Let me explain, I have had a terrible time with mum and pull ups and pads. The continence clinic have so far been unhelpful and I have tried everything, every combination to try and stop mum from removing or pulling out. So I am now moving on to the 'wrap around' The ones I already have, have such a tiny amount of tape and I keep screwing it up so looking for a strong tape to use as well. My aim is to stop mum from pulling them down-impossible it may be, but I have got to try something, especially for through the night. the area around the kitchen bin has become her favourite place!

Clueless2

May 14, 2015
I have no idea whether it will work, but the stickiest tape I have come across is "gaffer" tape (also known I think as duct tape?) it is waterproof and can be torn off the roll relatively easily (no scissors required). I'm not sure though how you might use it without your mum feeling as though you are about to put her in the Christmas post! Good luck :) Cx

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
As said Duct tape (sometimes called Duck tape) is good usually available in most pound shops, the best one I've found is Gorilla tape but any kind will mean you either have to cut through it to get it off. If you use masking tape which should work OK use the blue one not the cream one, it's higher tack and sticks for longer. It comes on rolls about 2" (50mm) wide and as said you can rip it by hand.
K

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Thank you all, will try both, so blue masking tape and duct tape on my shopping list for tomorrow. AT this point Clueless not too concerned about mum's feelings, though if it makes her smile being packed up like a Christmas present then fine. Got to at least slow her down when pulling everything down hopefully giving me a chance to get to her and into bathroom before any accidents. The thing is, the accidents don't just stay where they are do they, it gets spread around by paws and feet!

It all changed this week and this habit of everything going round the bin even in it has not taken long to become ingrained, I have moved the bin into utility room, somewhere she never goes, so out of sight out of mind, I hope, but my small utility room like the space under my bed is very quickly filling up.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Hi Tin

I do part time care work when I'm not looking after Dad and some of my clients wear pads. They are sometimes held in places with netted pants. These are stretchy and light a bit like boxer shorts. Have you tried them? One of my ladies who wears them definitely uses them to stop her pulling them down in the night.
Here is a link
https://www.tenadirect.co.uk/support-products/support-products/fixation-pants/tena-fix/

I discussed these with a friend and she is going to bring a pair round next week for us to try before I order any. At this point I am willing to try anything, I have accepted that my prompting and taking mum to the toilet is slowly not working, she has become uncooperative. Early, early morning has become a problem to, seems to be totally ignoring the commode even though there is enough light for her. She has this thing about the kitchen, in the mornings goes straight in there after removing her dry and clean pull ups in the bedroom.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Ordinary pants will do the same job as netty knickers.

is she skirts or trousers? Might be harder to get skirt up, and everything else down thn everything down in one with trousers. harder for you though

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
I was going to mention the nets also.
My dads had various being in hospital , some better than others to keep his pads in place.
Some staff use his undies, which don't keep pad still at night,
Nets are harder to take down for us let alone him. The age uk has some.
I'm not sure type dad has il see if I can find out.

As for mums progression , it's hard , it keeps changing ((hug)) xx

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
This may be a foolish question, but if your mum isn't using the comode in her bedroom and is sticking to one set spot in the kitchen could the comode be there waiting in the morning? I know hygiene wise that's not great, but better than yet another clean up. Might not work, might be impractical, but just a thought. x

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
As lavender said , maybe kitchen on hall? On way to kitchen . I don't know house layout.
Dad use to pee in kitchen bin, wardrobe, once wardrobe removed it'd be bedroom corner, door mat at front door. They don't know one room from another sadly.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
This may be a foolish question, but if your mum isn't using the comode in her bedroom and is sticking to one set spot in the kitchen could the comode be there waiting in the morning? I know hygiene wise that's not great, but better than yet another clean up. Might not work, might be impractical, but just a thought. x

No good Lavender, We have a tiny kitchen, put a second commode in there and we will not be able to move around without moving it out of the way all the time. The thing is, I think she has forgotten how to use it, because she is not using the one in her bedroom unless I am there to help her.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
As lavender said , maybe kitchen on hall? On way to kitchen . I don't know house layout.
Dad use to pee in kitchen bin, wardrobe, once wardrobe removed it'd be bedroom corner, door mat at front door. They don't know one room from another sadly.

We have a smaller toilet just off the kitchen, but the bathroom that we use is just off the hall and the door has a sign on it that she always reads aloud and she does still know where it is, not too good on knowing where other rooms are though. She is fixated on the kitchen at the moment, she will spend lots of time in there just moving things around and then gets caught short-until this started she would always call me to help her into the bathroom. Poor mum is just getting more and more confused, if she would only leave her pull ups on, all would be fine and of course much easier for me to clean up. I am hoping that these strange fixation pants will be the answer. She does have a couple pairs of tummy hugging knickers, but these are very tight on her that even I have a problem pulling them down and the next size up are too loose.

lacey1962

Jan 9, 2016
Crawley
Baby Gate

Hi Tin,

I have put a Baby gate on the kitchen doorway and my mum cant open this. ( Luckily as we have 4 dogs). Would this be something you could try?
Sally

MERENAME

Jun 4, 2013
scotland
This might not be helpful to you but Mum used to poo in bed then take the nappy off. Mess everywhere. She started taking co codamol at night for her arthritis and co incidentally this slowed things down and she doesn't poo until morning when she has help. Cocodamol can cause constipation and doesn't mix with a lot of other medication so might not be suitable but thought I would share as it has solved a big problem by accident.

Peirre

Aug 26, 2015
+1 for the tenafix pants.
The LHA IS supplied us with a pack of 5pr when we got the 1st delivery of Tena "comfort pads, however these are not part of the regular supply and we have to buy any additional packs @£5-£6 a pack of 5pr

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Hi Tin,

I have put a Baby gate on the kitchen doorway and my mum cant open this. ( Luckily as we have 4 dogs). Would this be something you could try?
Sally

Thanks Sally, but entrance to kitchen is wider than average door size and honestly I do not want to stop mum going in there, not wanting to offend anyone but the kitchen is mum's playroom and believe it or not-is a very safe room for her, well it is now.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Ordinary pants will do the same job as netty knickers.

is she skirts or trousers? Might be harder to get skirt up, and everything else down thn everything down in one with trousers. harder for you though

I agree, but my mum is a trousers lady and she does not pull all down at once. Trousers, tights, knickers and pull ups all down individually. I want to slow her down at the pull ups stage and hopefully she will start to call for me again.

Changed from skirts to trousers because she would not hold skirts up around her waist!

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
This thought may be evenn dafter than my first, what about a pair of braces so they would need undoing before the pull ups came down?

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
This thought may be evenn dafter than my first, what about a pair of braces so they would need undoing before the pull ups came down?

Daft I know, but I had thought about this too!!! Just worried that I would not be able to get mum to wear something that is so obviously a male apparel. I also thought about one of those all in ones, but for sure mum would work out the poppers

Anyway here is an update. Decided not to put mum in 'wrap rounds' just yet, instead I have pinched in at the sides the pull ups with duct tape and here is what happened:-

Walked into the kitchen to find mum with socks, tights, trousers and knickers round her ankles, asking for my help, so into the bathroom we went and I managed to cut tape quickly and without damage to pull ups and she used the toilet. All taped up again. Probably only a short term solution because knowing my mum in time she will work out what I have done and she may well start to rip away at the pull ups!!! It may be better to duct tape the knickers rather than the pull ups!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will do for now, at least till we get a chance to try fixation pants coming next week and I may even be able to bring rubbish bin back in to kitchen, having it 2 rooms away is a bit of a pain. At least I have got to 3pm without having to mop up the kitchen floor. Finding the right balance to suit the carer and sufferer is very hard.