Care home hell

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
My husband has been in respite for 4 weeks and on Wednesday moves into another care home full time.

He has Posterior Cortical Atrophy and can walk but once on his feet he can't get himself back into a chair so is in danger of falling. Although now in late stage and maybe because he's only 66 he can still tell me he needs the toilet and was contanant but has been wearing pads in the home. The care home wanted him in his wheelchair because they were worried about him falling.

I find him every morning about 10.15 sitting in the wheelchair up at the same table facing a yellow wall. I don't know how long he has been there, as sometimes he's up at 7.30. I can tell he's had his breakfast because his clothes are covered in porridge every morning. Cameron can no longer feed himself so should be fed by the staff. I have found him soaking wet first thing when I've gone in and after see the staff wipe him with dry wipes and then redress him, I've been keeping a towel and cloth in a drawer and I wash him myself twice first thing and changed him. I brush his teeth about 5 times a week and I have shown the head of the Dementia unit 3 days in a row that he had not been showered but all the boxes on the sheet were ticked. Last week I left before he had lunch because I was meeting my friend and when I went back 3 1/2 hours later I found him in exactly the same place stuck in the wheelchair socks and shoes off and soaking wet, again I washed and changed him.

I had the dentist nd met my friend again today so it was 4 hours between my visits to the home. He was in the dining room, he had opened a few buttons of his shirt and had got his whole shoulder out and it was stuck and he was agitated. Once he recognised my voice he stopped struggling, then I bent down and lifted his slipper, wet, sock, trousers wet. I passed a girl I have made friends with and showed her he was soaked. She followed me to his room with towels and said she would shower him. We stood him up and he was soaked to the waist. After removing his trousers and pants she turned round holding a dry pad and asked me to get the manager. He had obviously wet himself twice but someone had taken him to the toilet removed the wet pad put on a dry one and pulled up the wet clothes and left him. So the shoulder out of the shirt must have been him trying to get himself out of his clothes.

I have complained nicely and kept quiet a lot of the time. It was respite, a few more days I kept telling myself. The care inspectorate were in 2 weeks ago and the manager sacked. The new manager today apologised and she is going to find out who did this. The area manager I had met before at an Alzheimer event was there today and stopped me on the way out and apologised too. I told her that my husband going into care was hard but the worst thing has been the neglect he has suffered in her care home and I said this is coming from someone who is in here twice a day but is happening to the poor souls in here with nobody looking out for them.

Thanks for reading I had to get this off my chest. Carol x

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I am glad your OH is moving soon to another care home where he should get the care he deserves and needs. Your description is neglect and appalling. Apologies by various staff is inadequate .... proactive direct action by senior staff/management with their carers and urgent look at their procedures is what is required. How terrible for the other residents as no doubt your OH is not a one off. Good luck in the new care home, hope the move goes well.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
It sounds absolute hell.

It's this kind of experience (and the awful experience I had in trying to keep the standard of care right for my husband when he was in a hospital secure unit for two months) that makes me scared stiff of seeking respite, let alone ever contemplating long term care for my husband.

Like you say, we are there keeping tabs on things and fighting their corner - but what about the ones who have nobody? It is heart-breaking to think about.

I really do hope things improve after your input.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Carol this treatment is appalling. I am so glad you are getting OH moved on Wednesday. I would print out a copy of your post and give it to the CH manager and to the Board, send it to the Social services, to the CQC, one to the GP, to the Mayor and one to the local press. Leave it until he has moved if you like, but what your poor OH ( and you) have had to put up with needs to be shouted about. This is abuse not respite care:mad::mad::mad:.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Carol I am sorry you and your husband have had such appalling neglect and abusive care. I suggest that to protect other residents who must be suffering in the same way you copy and past your post on here to
complaints@cqc.org.uk with the care home name in the subject line
It would also be useful to copy the same email to Eileen Chubb at Compassion in care as she is amazing and will look into it further Info@compassionincare.com

and finally that you phone your local adult care social services and ask for an email to safeguarding and don't be fobbed off and copy the same email to them. Someone needs to pick this up, many are suffering, it is never just one person in a care home and it needs to be stopped.
Ask all of the above for feedback on your complaint progression so that they can't just ignore it

Once again I am so sorry that you have had to suffer this xx

LizK

Dec 18, 2015
Surrey
That is appalling treatment. I feel so sorry for you both. It's made me think about the niggles I have about Peter's care, and hopefully it will make me more tolerant.

Liz

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
I am complaining to the care commission about the treatment my husband recieved yesterday. I was not in a good place yesterday but I need to do this because I'm getting my husband out of there tomorrow but those poor people we are leaving behind need me to stand up for them. Someone from Alzheimer Scotland is coming with me to a meeting with the manager next week.

I spent a lot of time at the home with Cameron today. When I did leave at 5pm, a guy I trust was on shift so I felt ok leaving him tonight. My Mum passed away in March and today was her birthday so it's been a very emotional day. I packed all my husbands clothes and my son took me up to the new home tonight with his recliner chair and we have unpacked his clothes and put them away. I am going in earlier than usual tomorrow and staying with Cameron until the manager of his new home picks him up at 1.30. This is a caring care home and the staff have made me feel as if it's my home too.:)

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Good luck nan . Thinking of you both xx

I've not even got dad in anywhere yet, only place that comes available which hospital wants him moved to is awful in my opinion . Reminds me of an ibis/Mercure I visited hrs ago that should've been closed down back then.

I will keep hoping somewhere nice appears.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SallySunnyside