What would you like someone to design to assist with living at home with dementia?

Basky

Aug 26, 2016
Dear all,
I am a PhD researcher in engineering with a special interest in the home environment for people living with dementia. It seems that there are quite a few new products / technologies around aimed at people living with the condition. There are also many new technolgies such as 3D printing which offer new opportunities.

I wondered if we could design and make one single thing to assist with living at home with dementia (that is not currently available) what would it be?

I realise that living with dementia is a very complex and individual challenge but I wondered if there is anything you feel could help you? It could be mundane or fantastical I would be really interested in your thoughts.

Thank you for your time reading this post.
Best wishes

Fran

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
I would like electronic gloves that would actively exercise the person's hands.

Over time, when people are physically inactive, they develop muscle contractures. This is usually first noticeable with their hands. Eventually the hands get stuck in a painful clawed position. Hand massage helps a bit, as does putting something into each hand e.g. rolled up socks, foam pads, soft toys, in order to reduce the degree of clenching empty fists.

However, the best thing is to slow down the development of contractures by encouraging the persistence of fine motor skills. How can you do this when the person's brain is so damaged that it can no longer give coordinating instructions? Would 'workout' gloves exercise the hand and finger muscles and reinforce some control pathways in the brain?

Last edited:

Basky

Aug 26, 2016
Thank you for your answer Katrine, I was a physiotherapist prior to returning to academia for my PhD so I understand some of the difficulties with contractures. It may be that something developed for stroke rehabilitation could be adapted or used as a starting point. I guess it would need to be comfortable and not restrictive for the wearer. Do you think compliance of the wearer would be an issue?

Definately something to think about, thank you.

Fran

care2share

Jun 14, 2015
London
Dear all,
I am a PhD researcher in engineering with a special interest in the home environment for people living with dementia. It seems that there are quite a few new products / technologies around aimed at people living with the condition. There are also many new technolgies such as 3D printing which offer new opportunities.

I wondered if we could design and make one single thing to assist with living at home with dementia (that is not currently available) what would it be?

I realise that living with dementia is a very complex and individual challenge but I wondered if there is anything you feel could help you? It could be mundane or fantastical I would be really interested in your thoughts.

Thank you for your time reading this post.
Best wishes

Fran

A kind of exoskeleton to teach them to walk again. One that enabled partial weight bearing until muscles and bones were restored. Perhaps itcould be tethered.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"A kind of exoskeleton to teach them to walk again. One that enabled partial weight bearing until muscles and bones were restored"

A problem would be that PWDs are not convalescing from an injury or illness they have a progressive disease.

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
Some non-verbal pain detector. For late stages, so something that set alarm that PWD is suffering.

Basky

Aug 26, 2016
Thank you all for your replies. It's interesting that the three items suggested are related in some way to movement and maintaining/ regaining physical ability (as pain will also impact on this). There is much research being completed on the impact of exercise in dementia and ways to maintain physical activity but once mobility is lost I'm not sure what options are out there, I will investigate.

Thank you again,
Fran

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The ability to move around can also be impaired/lost because of increasing loss of visuospatial awareness, the PWD is physically able to move but can't work out the surroundings.
For starters, how about a pair of glasses that detects that there is not a step up or down - not sure which - but just a change of the colour of the floor. They could also do the reverse and indicate that it's not a change in road surface but either a kerb up or down.

Basky

Aug 26, 2016
The ability to move around can also be impaired/lost because of increasing loss of visuospatial awareness, the PWD is physically able to move but can't work out the surroundings.
For starters, how about a pair of glasses that detects that there is not a step up or down - not sure which - but just a change of the colour of the floor. They could also do the reverse and indicate that it's not a change in road surface but either a kerb up or down.

Nitram that's very interesting, almost like an augmented reality headset (would be good to use the technology for something other than Pokémon Go!) something that detects changes in depth and pattern and relays it in a form which is more easily processed by the wearer.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
It is broadly accepted that for PWD the colours of floors,walls,architraves, etc. are separated by 30 LRV to assist with orientation.
Something that improved the contrast in poorly designed areas might be a simpler aim.