Feet and exercise

Lizzie63

Nov 18, 2016
Hi
I am new to this forum. My father in law has Alzheimer's and now walks with a shuffling gait. He is also diabetic. His wife who is in her 80s has been trying to keep his toenails trimmed but they are very hard and even with soaking, she struggles. He refuses to see a chiropodist and insists he is perfectly capable of cutting his own toenails. He cannot reach his toenails. He may even have ingrown toenails.

How do you persuade someone to have his feet seen to when they stubbornly refuse?

Thanks in adavance.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
You could ask the community foot health department if they do house visits. They come to my OH's Day Centre to clip people's toenails so why not to your home as well?

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Make the appointment for a home visit and tell him the GP ordered it because they have to do an anual foot check for all diabetics..... this is true for our practice, I have mine checked.
Make sure he steeps his feet before the appointment time, makes the nails a bit softer.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I could not get a home visit on the nhs for my mum, so I pay someone to visit our home. Recently someone bought me a foot spa and before appointed visit mum soaks her feet for 15 or so minutes. Initially she was not too keen on these visits and could not understand why I could not to do the job, but now she is more accepting especially as she feels so much better after the treatment and her feet smell nice!!!

Pegsdaughter

Oct 7, 2014
London
It's very important for people with diabetes to have an annual foot check. Ring the surgery and explain that one has not been carried out recently , say he is housebound and ask when someone can come. Stress the diabetic bit if they start giving the run around. Feet are an important indicator for diabetes problems.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point