Dementia report

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
This is the news from yesterday (below) Unfortunately and sadly it comes as no surprise to many of us who comment on Facebook dementia pages, we have known this for may years, or at least we knew news like this was coming. What a lot of people dont know, or cant understand is why DEMENTIA isn't put as cause of death on the death certificate? Yes i know, before all the academics jump in and say dementia is a set of conditions that are contributory towards death, in English, most of us see it like this,

Dementia causes you to forget to eat, or drink causing UTi`s, confusion, spatial awareness that can lead to more complicated symptoms, falls, accidents ect.

Dementia causes depression, loneliness , isolation, and more which are many factors of a downward spiral.

Dementia, depending what type causes you to hallucinate, lack of sleep, start to wander and putting your self in danger and your heart under enormous stress, it causes your immune syndrome to plummet opening you up to virus`s such as pneumonia etc.

CAUSE OF DEATH IS DEMENTIA , which ever way you look at it, in the REAL world, this is what so many people are dying from, we need, Alzheimer's, Lewy Bodys, Vascular etc PUTTING on the death certificate, we need GP`s medical practitioners and coroners around the world to , as my dear friends in the USA say, GROW A PAIR !! And put the real cause of death on the certificate and please dont generalize it with just the word dementia.

(These are my own thought in my own humble opinion and are not meant to upset anybody, i just feel it needed to be said )

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Please share

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-11-14/...isease-leading-cause-of-death-for-first-time/

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
There was a thread on this, prompted by the BBC website report on the same statistics. Like a lot of people I was glad dementia was finally being acknowledged as a cause or a contributory cause in so many cases now.
The upside of the coverage should be more research and more support for those with dementia and for their carers, so while it probably doesn't go as far as you would like Norm it's a forward step.

Red66

Feb 29, 2016
Hi Norms, I completely agree with you and I was very surprised in August when my Dad sadly passed they put 'end stage dementia ' as his cause of death. In a weird way and I am sure you will know what I mean when I say this, but I was pleased by that. Other causes are usually stated and it's wrong, inaccurate and prevents research in the long run. Red.

aprilbday

Jan 27, 2016
Washington, DC USA
Thank you for this posting. How on earth can we ever expect progression for a cure if its name is as elusive as "Voldemort"!
It should definitely be stated as end-stage dementia.