Mrsa

snowygirl

Jan 9, 2014
Ok so on top of everything else I found out in the last hour that mum has MRSA and has had for at least the past 6 days. I'm angry as the hospital haven't told any of us this news even though I was there on Friday. I was told that she wasn't herself and that they were trying to find out why. Mum has been in hospital for 8 weeks and we have had a care home go in today to do an assessment. Shouldn't I have been told myself as I was allowed to handle mum without any increased precautions?. Will the care home now not take her if she has MRSA? What could this mean for us and mum now? Am I worrying unnecessarily....grateful for your thoughts..

Georgina63

Aug 11, 2014
Sorry snowygirl, I haven't any words of wisdom, just to say sorry you are in this situation. As you say, on top of everything else, not what you need! Hope it all works out. Sending wishes. Gx

Not so Rosy

Nov 30, 2013
Something similar happened with my Mum in a rehab hospital. I visited everyday so saw the medical staff on a regular basis and nothing was ever said to me. My husband used to come with me at weekends who at the time was receiving palliative chemo for terminal cancer and even that didn't prompt them to share the info.

Mum was granted CHC and a Social Worker arranged a meeting to discuss Nursing Home options. She apologised for the lack of choice of homes and explained it was down to Mums MRSA. It was the first I had heard of it. Turned out Mum had been treated 3 times and not a word was said.

Funny enough, about a year later I was browsing the stats for MRSA in that particular hospital and it was a nil return for the period Mum contracted it.

snowygirl

Jan 9, 2014
Thanks for your replies. I heard this afternoon that the care home that went to see mum has said that they cant take her as she is now:(. They say its not because of the MRSA but that mum is not stable anymore and that as she is on regular obs in hospital that she cannot be moved to a home yet. I had another home ring me this afternoon with a bed come up. Its all just a nightmare. I think we're going to lose the original nursing bed at this rate and how can I now send this other home to do an assessment?. I'm waiting on a call from the hospital as I cannot get there today. I really thought we were going to settle mum once and for all. Now I'm feeling back to square one again. I'm just grateful my dear dad in his care home isn't aware of any of this:(.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa